Cpu Upgrade (Power Connectors)

Sean_106

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
Hello Do some cpus not require power connectors? I ask as i upgraded my cpu and couldnt get my pc to boot but i got my old cpu to work when i put it back in. So is there a way that one cpu requires a power cable and another doesnt? Thanks

Solution
Based on this configuration:

New CPU installed and thermal paste applied properly. Works 100% with old CPU. Socket not damaged.
BIOS updated to latest version and version number absolutely 100% confirmed to be F20
Motherboard installed and all essential power connectors wired up (8pin, 24pin)
All other devices like drivers and PCI or PCIe cards removed. All fans disconnected except CPU_FAN
Won't boot on 1 stick of RAM but will boot on 1 stick if the old CPU is installed

If you've done all that by now and the system will not boot then I think there is an issue with the 3930k CPU. It should work with your system if the BIOS is the latest version. It is proven to work with that motherboard with benchmarks on userbenchmark...

jr9

Estimable
Trying seeing if it will boot with one stick of RAM the new CPU. Also removing and drives, fans, expansion cards may get it to boot. Strip the system down to core components, RAM+Motherboard+PSU+CPU+CPU Cooler.

If you are sure you have F20 then that CPU should work with that CPU on that board. It shouldn't power connectors to work except the 8pin P1 and 24pin P1 power connectors and the CPU_FAN connector plugged in.

jr9

Estimable
Based on this configuration:

New CPU installed and thermal paste applied properly. Works 100% with old CPU. Socket not damaged.
BIOS updated to latest version and version number absolutely 100% confirmed to be F20
Motherboard installed and all essential power connectors wired up (8pin, 24pin)
All other devices like drivers and PCI or PCIe cards removed. All fans disconnected except CPU_FAN
Won't boot on 1 stick of RAM but will boot on 1 stick if the old CPU is installed

If you've done all that by now and the system will not boot then I think there is an issue with the 3930k CPU. It should work with your system if the BIOS is the latest version. It is proven to work with that motherboard with benchmarks on userbenchmark. http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/6149867

Either the CPU is defective or there is an installation issue somewhere. Maybe downgrading to BIOS version F16 would help if it lets you. Otherwise I would return or RMA the CPU and say it doesn't boot and force them to test it on a different machine.

Solution