CPU upgrade question (HP computer..)

ryan211

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Hey everyone. My HP computer that I purchased (I know dumb mistake but I learned my lesson) is currently running an AMD Phenom II X6 Processor 1035t running at 2.6ghz.

Since this is a pre built computer from HP, the motherboard/parts of bios are locked and no overclocking can be done.

Money is kinda tight right now, but Im thinking of upgrading to a AMD Phenom II x4 running at 3.5ghz out of the box. Only $144.99 right now.

My question is, since my processor right now is ALREADY a Phenom II with an A3 socket, will I be fine replacing it with another AMD Phenom II with an AM3 socket?

I hear of people having to update their BIOS and stuff when they install a new CPU....thing is mine are pretty much the same line of chips with the same socket so i dont think i should experience any troubles, correct? Since my BIOS is mostly locked, this SCARES ME.

Im just playing it safe guys...budget is tight (broke college student, yay)and if I buy this CPU I want, I want it to work.

Eventually I will be replacing my motherboard so I can overclock the new CPU as well.

I already replaced my videocard to a GTX 560ti superclocked, and that went smoothly so I hope this would too!

Thanks yall!

ryan211

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

Yeah it was a dumb mistake. Im brand new to PC gaming and I didn't do all my research. Lesson learned though.

But I will say, I've changed my video-card, power supply and case so far. Only thing remaining is motherboard and CPU. My ram is surprisingly really good quality ram.

ryan211

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
If anybody else has any opinions, please let me know!

If anybody knows for sure, it could possibly make me get this CPU faster so I would greatly appreciation any and all opinions :)

D

Deleted member 217926

HP BIOS are also locked as far as upgrading the processor goes. Need an exact model to be able to tell what you can upgrade to. The HP website will be able to tell you what CPUs are compatible with that motherboard.

D

Deleted member 217926

Even then it might not work in his board. Check the website.

ryan211

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

Thank you for your answer sir.

Here is what I have

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...portFAQ&prodSeriesId=4162190&prodTypeId=12454

And here is the CPU I want

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103894

Looks good?

Edit sorry messed the url up...been awhile since ive used forums :/

D

Deleted member 217926

It shows right on the page you linked to the supported processors.

Processor upgrade information

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

TDP=125W

AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (D)

AMD Phenom II X3 7xx/7xxe Triple-Core (H)

AMD II Athlon X4 6xx/6xxe (P)

AMD II Athlon X3 4xx/4xxe ®)

AMD II Athlon X2 2xx/2xxe ®)

So yeah the 970 should work fine. You do realize that in some ways that you are doing a sideways upgrade or even downgrade in some situations. I would save the money personally. Save up until you can afford a new motherboard as well. Up to you though.

ryan211

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

Thank you very much. I understand your concerns about my upgrade..rest assured I just use my PC for gaming..Im not big into any other tech demanding things that other people use.

I figured the 970 at 3.5ghz would be excellent for what I need. Since most games are just starting to utilize 4 core processors now, I hope I shall be fine.

Once I upgrade my motherboard, I plan to overclock the 970 to 4ghz, which I heard it can do easily.

Thanks for your answer though, and the direction to that website. Never thought of that for some reason.

ryan211

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

Thanks man. Any idea what you think I could get for my current CPU? I dont expect much, but hey it will be nice to get a few bucks for something I dont need.

D

Deleted member 217926

You might get close to $75 for it on ebay. Maybe. They are going for $135 new.