CPU Upgrade question

boomstick

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2004
Pretty frustrated with the performance of my FX 4100. I have a small budget to make a change but I'm torn on what upgrades to make. Either I can upgrade to the FX 8120/50 or got with an Intel i52500K but then I'd need a new motherboard. From what I've read so far, the FX 81XX's are on par or a bit better than the 2500k, is that correct?

CDdude55

Distinguished
The Sandy Bridge chips are phenomenal and do excel over the current line of Bulldozer/FX chips by a good margin in most applications. Now personally if all you really want to do if game and that's your main priority then it's a lot easier and cost effective to just move up to an FX 8120/8150, but granted if you're looking for a performance leap, you really aren't going to find it in the extra cores of the FX series over your current FX 4100. And the FX 81x0 chips do come on par with SB in certain software, but overall SB still overtakes the FX series by a good amount depending on the software being ran of course.

I'd recommend upgrading over to the 2500K over an FX series chip if you have the money, or you could always wait and save for Ivy Bridge. Or you could always keep your current board and chip until AMD Piledriver, which is actually what i'm doing, as the FX's disappointing performance leap over my current Phenom II X6 made me just decide to keep my 990FX board and wait till the their next chips as it's the most cost effective thing for me to do.

boomstick

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2004

I think we're in the same boat. I just don't like waiting. What's the latest rumors on Piledriver release?

CDdude55

Distinguished

It's supposed to be released this year, i believe Q3 2012 is what people are saying, so you'd have to wait a bit.

since you're on a tight budget and your cpu is new, i suggest stick with for the time being.
what are your full specs?
if you have a decent psu and case, get a cheap aftermarket cooler and overclock the 4100 for additional performance.
wait for piledriver or bd revisions to come out, see how they perform. 4100 shouldn't be bad for everyday tasks.