[SOLVED] Cpu upgrade question

winks42

Respectable
I’m upgrading to a 8700k or 9700k from my 7600k so I’ll be replacing my motherboard also. I was wonder on what I should do for Windows. I have a ssd thatis my boot drive and then all my games and other files on my HDD. Should I just wipe my ssd or what should I do? Thanks!

Ideally, you would do a clean install of windows.
Unfortunately, the apps on your hard drive will be using the windows registry so the apps will need to be reinstalled also.

If that is a unpleasant task, you might be able to boot from your current ssd and just update the motherboard drivers.
It is worth a try.

You don't. Windows will do it DURING the process. Make sure to back up ALL important information on the drive first, to another location. Then follow my guide exactly as outlined.

If you do it as outlined, every partition on the drive will be deleted and all new partitions created along with a clean installation of the Windows operating system.

As geofelt mentioned, you CAN try it without a clean install, but the results are generally a mixed bag at best, totally problematic at worst. Rarely does using the same OS installation when changing platforms result in a usable OS that lacks any problems at all, but occasionally if the hardware is similar enough (Generally same or similar platform by same brand with very similar onboard components) it does happen. I 100% always do a clean install anytime I upgrade a system to a new platform, or make a change of motherboard to one with different storage controllers, even if it is within the same chipset generation.

winks42

Respectable
You don't. Windows will do it DURING the process. Make sure to back up ALL important information on the drive first, to another location. Then follow my guide exactly as outlined.

If you do it as outlined, every partition on the drive will be deleted and all new partitions created along with a clean installation of the Windows operating system.

As geofelt mentioned, you CAN try it without a clean install, but the results are generally a mixed bag at best, totally problematic at worst. Rarely does using the same OS installation when changing platforms result in a usable OS that lacks any problems at all, but occasionally if the hardware is similar enough (Generally same or similar platform by same brand with very similar onboard components) it does happen. I 100% always do a clean install anytime I upgrade a system to a new platform, or make a change of motherboard to one with different storage controllers, even if it is within the same chipset generation.
Thank you so much for helping me but i just have one question. because I have 2 drives do I have to wipe both like geofelt said but do it the same way as the boot drive?
Thanks!

Yes, if you have applications or games that are installed (Not portable executables) on another drive then you will probably need to format that drive as well and reinstall everything.

In some cases, like Steam folders, etc., you don't, so it's best to investigate on a case by case basis. If they are applications though, it's a pretty safe bet that they have deep roots in the registry and Windows folders even if they are primarily installed on another drive, and you'll need to reinstall them. Generally speaking I don't recommend installing applications on secondary drives. They should normally all be installed on the same partition as the operating system. Games, like Steam folders and such, are a different story and don't always need to be on the same drive. Some people tend to disagree on installing applications on the same drive but I don't see much reason to install them elsewhere as they always need to be reinstalled when you install a new or fresh copy of Windows anyhow, so unlike games that are mostly self contained, there is really no benefit to putting them on another drive UNLESS it is only due to space concerns and then I say well, you need a bigger drive then.

How much storage do you need for apps and games?
With today's lower SSD prices, you should be able to buy a 1tb or even 2tb ssd that is commensurate with the budget for a 9700K class build.

Regardless, if you will do a clean install on a ssd, you want to have NO other drives attached during the process. Otherwise you will get hidden recovery data partitions placed on the HDD.
That will complicate ever running without the HDD present.
The clean install will delete whatever you had on the drive you are installing on.
Later, you can reattach the hard drives and do with them what you will.
If they contain data folders like videos or photos, those folders will still be available .

If you try the approach of booting from your old ssd, protect whatever data you value first.
When I last did this i, I first cloned my old SSD to a new Samsung SSD using their ssd migration app. That protected my original install in case things did not work out.
Today's versions of Windows seem to be able to handle booting from a different chipset.
I understand that there is a method of preparing windows to boot from a different motherboard.
You could research that.
FWIW, so far as I can tell, I have had no issues, but your results could vary.

I would do that after you create the new OS on the SSD, but after you've backed up any important files on it first.

So,

Disconnect the HDD. Install Windows on the SSD.

Then, after completion, reconnect the HDD.

Backup any important files on the HDD, then clean the HDD, as follows:

Open File explorer. Right click the HDD in the left side navigation menu. Select Format. Make sure the file system type is set to NTFS. Click Quick format.

winks42

Respectable
I would do that after you create the new OS on the SSD, but after you've backed up any important files on it first.

So,

Disconnect the HDD. Install Windows on the SSD.

Then, after completion, reconnect the HDD.

Backup any important files on the HDD, then clean the HDD, as follows:

Open File explorer. Right click the HDD in the left side navigation menu. Select Format. Make sure the file system type is set to NTFS. Click Quick format.
Thank you soooo much!!!