[SOLVED] CPU Upgrade question

JeanPi9

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
Hello everyone. I'm currently running an i5-6600k cpu paired with an 980ti. I'm looking to upgrade the gpu and was wondering if you guys think it's worth getting a newer cpu also. I'm looking into the Nvidi Super series or the 5700 xt. Would the 6600k be a bottleneck?

current specs:

cpu: i5 6600k 3.5 ghz quad core
Gpu: Gigabyte 980ti G1 Gaming
Ram: Kingston Hyper X fury 12 gb 2666
Mobo: Asus Z170-A
Case: NZXT Noctis 450
PSU: XFX 850w

Thanks in advance!

Solution
7700k is AN upgrade, but I honestly think this late in the game it's a waste of money. There is not much if any IPC improvement over your current CPU and the hyperthreads you gain are somewhat mitigated by the patches for Spectre and Meltdown.

I'd look at no older than 8th Gen Intel or current Ryzen 3000. Ryzen 3000/Zen2 is the best option right now since they have a truckload of cores and threads, aren't vulnerable to most of the same issues that Intel parts are, haven't seen as much loss of performance from patches and are generally less expensive.

The 7700k idea would only be a short term band aid, and while it is an option, especially if you can get one cheap enough, I don't think it's a good way to spend your money. Might be...
Bottleneck has become somewhat subjective, but if you're looking at a Super series card higher than the 2060, or a 5700 XT, then yes, I think you'll be CPU limited in most modern titles. You'll certainly be before any of those graphics cards becomes obsolete again because going foward titles are only going to become MORE optimized for multithreading since CPUs are coming with more and more cores and developers will have to begin designing these titles to take advantage of that. Most complex applications already do, but even those will likely do a better job of it as time goes on.

Short version, you are probably already seeing a lack of the performance you could be seeing, even with your 980 TI, using that 6600k on most games released within the last two years.

It probably matters, as well, what resolution and refresh rate you tend to play at and what your target FPS is, and what kind of titles you play. At some point, for some titles, more isn't necessarily better. For others, not enough is distinctly a negative factor.

JeanPi9

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
Bottleneck has become somewhat subjective, but if you're looking at a Super series card higher than the 2060, or a 5700 XT, then yes, I think you'll be CPU limited in most modern titles. You'll certainly be before any of those graphics cards becomes obsolete again because going foward titles are only going to become MORE optimized for multithreading since CPUs are coming with more and more cores and developers will have to begin designing these titles to take advantage of that. Most complex applications already do, but even those will likely do a better job of it as time goes on.

Short version, you are probably already seeing a lack of the performance you could be seeing, even with your 980 TI, using that 6600k on most games released within the last two years.

It probably matters, as well, what resolution and refresh rate you tend to play at and what your target FPS is, and what kind of titles you play. At some point, for some titles, more isn't necessarily better. For others, not enough is distinctly a negative factor.

That's what i thought... so say i'm gonna go step by step, would you recommend upgrading the cpu first or the gpu? I'm pretty sure it's gotta be the cpu but still, i like to hear from the experts. also, how viable is just going for a 7700k to stay with my same mobo? Huge difference between a 9th gen cpu, say a 9600k and the 7700k?

7700k is AN upgrade, but I honestly think this late in the game it's a waste of money. There is not much if any IPC improvement over your current CPU and the hyperthreads you gain are somewhat mitigated by the patches for Spectre and Meltdown.

I'd look at no older than 8th Gen Intel or current Ryzen 3000. Ryzen 3000/Zen2 is the best option right now since they have a truckload of cores and threads, aren't vulnerable to most of the same issues that Intel parts are, haven't seen as much loss of performance from patches and are generally less expensive.

The 7700k idea would only be a short term band aid, and while it is an option, especially if you can get one cheap enough, I don't think it's a good way to spend your money. Might be better off upgrading the GPU card for now, making due with the CPU you have and saving the money you would have spent on it to put towards something that will actually have some legs.

Reactions: JeanPi9
Solution