[SOLVED] CPU UPGRADE QUESTION

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Okay so I have done a few builds before, but always brand new. This question might be silly but here it goes

I am going to upgrade my CPU from a Ryzen 5 2600x to a Ryzen 7 3700x ... Besides the bios upgrade for having a X470 mobo, is there anything else I need to do besides applying fresh thermal paste and slapping the new bad boy in? Like do I need to set memory overclocks back, or anything like that? I never really upgraded preexisting, always built brand new.

Solution
Okay so I have done a few builds before, but always brand new. This question might be silly but here it goes

I am going to upgrade my CPU from a Ryzen 5 2600x to a Ryzen 7 3700x ... Besides the bios upgrade for having a X470 mobo, is there anything else I need to do besides applying fresh thermal paste and slapping the new bad boy in? Like do I need to set memory overclocks back, or anything like that? I never really upgraded preexisting, always built brand new.

BIOS 5406 ?
That's all you need CPU wise. If CMOS is reset you will have to reapply any DOCP settings. There is BIOS option to save current settings which can reapply all other settings even after CMOS reset.
PS.
Download (if you didn't already) newest chipset drivers...
Apr 29, 2020
If the bios has all stock clocks for the CPU, all you should need to do is remove the drivers from the previous CPU, and install the new ones after you install the new CPU itself.

BIOS 5406 ?
That's all you need CPU wise. If CMOS is reset you will have to reapply any DOCP settings. There is BIOS option to save current settings which can reapply all other settings even after CMOS reset.
PS.
Download (if you didn't already) newest chipset drivers from AMD site, Asus site is way behind but that's to go with BIOS version, nothing to do with CPU.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS