[SOLVED] CPU UPGRADE (RYZEN 2ND OR 3RD GEN )

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 20, 2019
I am think to change my Cpu Ryzen 5 2400g to Ryzen 5 2600 or Ryzen 5 3600. My Mobo is Asrock AB350 Gaming K4. it will be ok with ryzen 3rd gen ?
Whats the best solution?

Nov 20, 2019
Best for the power supply manufacturers? : P

You certainly don't need a $100+ PSU, and your system will see zero performance gain from a PSU upgrade. As I mentioned before, it is possible that a better PSU could offer better protection for your components in the event of a power supply failure, but if you've spent an extra $100 to replace a functional PSU, it's questionable whether that's worth the investment. Maybe for a system with especially high-end hardware, but when no individual component in the system would cost more than $200 to replace, or even upgrade, the benefits seem questionable.
So your opinion is ?

Nov 20, 2019
Not at all - the VS series were never considered great, though the white/grey ones are better than the orange. That's not much of a bar, though.

And, it's not just about failure, it's about how well/poorly it handles failure, if it fails, and it's about stable power being delivered to the components - with less stable power delivery being somewhat harmful to components.

Failure could take out nothing but the PSU itself. Or it could take out MULTIPLE components. Or it could cause a fire. If it fails, a poor quality PSU isn't following any kind of Gentleman's Agreement to take out no more than one component in the system.

Finally, a good PSU will outlast your system, and can be carried over to the next one.

I cannot at all endorse the idea of keeping the orange VS unit. Don't get me wrong, it could very well last a long time and never cause any harm, but I don't think it's worth the gamble.
So you think will be unnecessary to buy a 600-650 watt psu ?

Last edited by a moderator:

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Psu really affects gaming? In what way
Yes it does affect gaming, as gpus need enough power while playing games. Psus don't reduce fps but his system might reboot while gaming, because of the psu and that would be bad. 650w are more than enough, but it's not a "quality" unit and thus it could damage his system. A better psu will just be protecting his parts from potential damage and it will have much more endurance.

Reactions: JimSterg
Nov 20, 2019
Not at all - the VS series were never considered great, though the white/grey ones are better than the orange. That's not much of a bar, though.

And, it's not just about failure, it's about how well/poorly it handles failure, if it fails, and it's about stable power being delivered to the components - with less stable power delivery being somewhat harmful to components.

Failure could take out nothing but the PSU itself. Or it could take out MULTIPLE components. Or it could cause a fire. If it fails, a poor quality PSU isn't following any kind of Gentleman's Agreement to take out no more than one component in the system.

Finally, a good PSU will outlast your system, and can be carried over to the next one.

I cannot at all endorse the idea of keeping the orange VS unit. Don't get me wrong, it could very well last a long time and never cause any harm, but I don't think it's worth the gamble.
So i make an extra reaearch i am between
Corsair TX-M Series TX550M gold and Seasonic Focus Plus 550 Platinum
I know Seasonic is better than corsair but my bugdet tells me the opposite. Its worth to wait for a better price or it will be ok with Corsair TX-M Series TX550M gold ?