[SOLVED] CPU UPGRADE (RYZEN 2ND OR 3RD GEN )

Nov 20, 2019
I am think to change my Cpu Ryzen 5 2400g to Ryzen 5 2600 or Ryzen 5 3600. My Mobo is Asrock AB350 Gaming K4. it will be ok with ryzen 3rd gen ?
Whats the best solution?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, before even doing that, I have two questions:
  1. Do you have a discrete video card? Your 2400g has built in graphics, the 2600 and 3600 do not.
  2. is your current CPU falling short in any way? It's a 4 core, 8 thread CPU, and the clock speeds are decent - where does it feel like it's letting you down?

Reactions: JimSterg
Nov 20, 2019
Well, before even doing that, I have two questions:
  1. Do you have a discrete video card? Your 2400g has built in graphics, the 2600 and 3600 do not.
  2. is your current CPU falling short in any way? It's a 4 core, 8 thread CPU, and the clock speeds are decent - where does it feel like it's letting you down?
1.Yea i have Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB Nitro+ Special Edition
My system is
Case:CoolerMaster Masterbox NR600
PSU:Corsair VS Series VS650
MOBO:Asrock AB350 Gaming K4
CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 2400G Box
CPU Cooler:Be Quiet Dark Rock 4
RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3200MHz
SSD:Samsung 860 Evo 250GB
HDD:Western Digital Blue 3.5" 1TB (7200rpm)
GPU:Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB Nitro+ Special Edition

2.I am not sure if i make the right decision for this build.

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
1.Yea i have Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB Nitro+ Special Edition
My system is

Also, you should probably consider buying a quality psu, as the corsair vs series is not good for gaming.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
1.Yea i haveSapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB Nitro+ Special Edition
My system is

Well, the one thing that I'm concerned with is the VS650 power supply. Is the VS on the label orange or green? Or is it black, white, or gray. I know the orange and green ones are to be avoided. The rest are acceptable, if nothing better is available.

The video card is decent, as is the CPU, but, I'll move on to the second part, whether you made the right decision for the build.

Overall it looks quite good, assuming you plan to game at 1920x1080 @ 60fps in general. The Sapphire Nitro+ SE version of the 580 has excellent cooling, and is a very capable 1080p card.

What can you tell us about your monitor:
  • Resolution?
  • Refresh rate?
  • Does it have GSync, FreeSync, or neither?
    • If FreeSync, what is the FreeSync range?
  • If you don't know all that info, the brand and exact model number would be very helpful.

Nov 20, 2019
Well, the one thing that I'm concerned with is the VS650 power supply. Is the VS on the label orange or green? Or is it black, white, or gray. I know the orange and green ones are to be avoided. The rest are acceptable, if nothing better is available.

The video card is decent, as is the CPU, but, I'll move on to the second part, whether you made the right decision for the build.

Overall it looks quite good, assuming you plan to game at 1920x1080 @ 60fps in general. The Sapphire Nitro+ SE version of the 580 has excellent cooling, and is a very capable 1080p card.

What can you tell us about your monitor:
  • Resolution?
  • Refresh rate?
  • Does it have GSync, FreeSync, or neither?
    • If FreeSync, what is the FreeSync range?
  • If you don't know all that info, the brand and exact model number would be very helpful.
The VS on the label is orange.

Monitor is
model LG 27MP59G-P
Resolution 1920x1080
Refresh rate 75 Hz
FreeSync

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
as long as you get cx series with gray label it is ok. ryzen 2400 g is enough to handle rx 580. ofcourse 2600 will be better but it is enough. it depends on what price you get if you get a good price it could be Worth it.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm not sure that upgrading the CPU will make enough of a difference to be worth going through the effort.

If you've already got the system as is built and using it, I say change the PSU (I'd strongly recommend Seasonic FOCUS or PRIME, or Corsair TX, RM, RMx, RMi, HX, HXi, AX or AXi models), then play the games with the rest of the parts as it currently exists. With your monitor's 40-75Hz FreeSync range, it is very likely that it won't disappoint you at all, when using the FreeSync or Chill capabilities.

Nov 20, 2019
I'm not sure that upgrading the CPU will make enough of a difference to be worth going through the effort.

If you've already got the system as is built and using it, I say change the PSU (I'd strongly recommend Seasonic FOCUS or PRIME, or Corsair TX, RM, RMx, RMi, HX, HXi, AX or AXi models), then play the games with the rest of the parts as it currently exists. With your monitor's 40-75Hz FreeSync range, it is very likely that it won't disappoint you at all, when using the FreeSync or Chill capabilities.
How many watt do you think i need for this system ?
With Seasonic Focus Plus 550 Platinum will be good ?

Last edited:
Honestly, I wouldn't even bother upgrading the PSU. You have a functional power supply, and it seems to work fine enough for your needs, so all you would potentially gain from a PSU upgrade would be better protection of your other components should the power supply ever fail. If you were building the system now and hadn't bought a PSU for it yet, I would say that spending a little extra on a higher quality unit might be worthwhile, but I don't really see an immediate need for replacing the one you have.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Honestly, I wouldn't even bother upgrading the PSU. You have a functional power supply, and it seems to work fine enough for your needs, so all you would potentially gain from a PSU upgrade would be better protection of your other components should the power supply ever fail. If you were building the system now and hadn't bought a PSU for it yet, I would say that spending a little extra on a higher quality unit might be worthwhile, but I don't really see an immediate need for replacing the one you have.

Given that the current PSU is an orange-label VS, it is best to replace it.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
How many watt do you think i need for this system ?
With Seasonic Focus Plus 550 Platinum will be good ?
That's an excellent unit, and can easily handle your system.

As a rough guide (and I am OVERstating the values being drawn, just to be safe):
  • CPU - max around 90W (really rated at 65W)
  • GPU - max around 240W (base models of RX580 are around 190W, and I doubt even brief spikes would hit 240W on it)
  • everything else - maybe 120W worst case.

That comes to 450W total, though I don't think it's ever really possible to hit that unless you're overclocking your CPU and GPU, etc. With a 550W and the Focus Plus, you're in great shape, with enough headroom.

Given that the current PSU is an orange-label VS, it is best to replace it.
Best for the power supply manufacturers? : P

You certainly don't need a $100+ PSU, and your system will see zero performance gain from a PSU upgrade. As I mentioned before, it is possible that a better PSU could offer better protection for your components in the event of a power supply failure, but if you've spent an extra $100 to replace a functional PSU, it's questionable whether that's worth the investment. Maybe for a system with especially high-end hardware, but when no individual component in the system would cost more than $200 to replace, or even upgrade, the benefits seem questionable.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Best for the power supply manufacturers? : P

You certainly don't need a $100+ PSU, and your system will see zero performance gain from a PSU upgrade. As I mentioned before, it is possible that a better PSU could offer better protection for your components in the event of a power supply failure, but if you've spent an extra $100 to replace a functional PSU, it's questionable whether that's worth the investment. Maybe for a system with especially high-end hardware, but when no individual component in the system would cost more than $200 to replace, or even upgrade, the benefits seem questionable.
Not at all - the VS series were never considered great, though the white/grey ones are better than the orange. That's not much of a bar, though.

And, it's not just about failure, it's about how well/poorly it handles failure, if it fails, and it's about stable power being delivered to the components - with less stable power delivery being somewhat harmful to components.

Failure could take out nothing but the PSU itself. Or it could take out MULTIPLE components. Or it could cause a fire. If it fails, a poor quality PSU isn't following any kind of Gentleman's Agreement to take out no more than one component in the system.

Finally, a good PSU will outlast your system, and can be carried over to the next one.

I cannot at all endorse the idea of keeping the orange VS unit. Don't get me wrong, it could very well last a long time and never cause any harm, but I don't think it's worth the gamble.