Question CPU upgrade suggestions ?

Apr 23, 2022
I’ve had my PC for almost a year now and I’ve upgraded different specs for the computer and I’ve been wanting to upgrade my CPU. Currently I have a i7-10700k with a RTX 3060, 32gb of RAM., and a B560 motherboard. What CPUs would ya’ll suggest I get? (No budget limit but appreciate if recommended cheaper ones)

Reactions: Lara Zubair
Apr 23, 2022
I don’t really have an issue with my current one, however, it often would think its overheating for some reason. Which makes me have issues with gaming on CPU dependent games. Thank you for suggesting

Apr 23, 2022
When I shut down my pc it shows a msg saying my cpu is overheating, but when If I restart my pc it shows my cpu temp at around 40-50 degrees. It might actually be overheating but I don’t know. I have a MAG coreliquid 240R

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
I only ever hear bad things about the MAG coolers. This forum alone us full of people experiencing issues. Rather than look at a full system upgrade then I would potentially look at replacing the cooler.

If you want a solid but no frills replacement AIO cooler then something like the Arctic Liquid Feeezer II are a good choice. There are a number of more fancy coolers out there as well should you like RGB but obviously the price starts to increase considerably.

Before replacing however have you tried replacing the thermal paste on the cpu?

Apr 23, 2022
I see I see but what about the size? do I search online for coolers that fit my PC case?
And no I haven't because I'm not quite sure where to get thermal paste

Ask yourself how wedded you are to liquid cooling.

Yes, you would need to confirm fit within your case for any replacement.

Do you or will you ever overclock?

How far off in the future do you see a motherboard upgrade....assuming the current one does not fail?

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
I see I see but what about the size? do I search online for coolers that fit my PC case?
And no I haven't because I'm not quite sure where to get thermal paste
What case do you have? That will likely determine what solution is best for you. As Lafong states you may be able to get a good air cooler instead, depending on the airflow in your case.

You currently have a 240mm Liquid cooler so as long as you stay within the same dimensions you should be OK although the Arctic liquid freezer does have a slightly thicker radiator than some other models.

What country are you in?

A 10700K is still 'more than adequate' for most folks...especially for a 3060.

As opposed to interpreting some 'message' about overheating from 'somewhere', let's run HWmonitor and CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU and see what clock speeds and temps are actually achieved/maintained throughout the ~ 10 minute period? (Be sure to 'stop' stress test activity afterward) The temps seen in CPU-Z/stress cpu are less than those generated by Prime95, and, typically still a little more than would be seen in actual games. (Where is the 'overheating message' being generated? From within what app, or, is it something LCD-text on the pump's LCD display itself?)

If your temps hit 100C, then you are technically then overheating, and should see lower clock speeds to compensate.....; temps of upper-60's would be 'good', temps of mid-70's are common, and into the 80's, most folks would prefer not to see, but, still not technically a problem. (Also, with a Z490 mainboard, if MCE is enabled, then all cores might boost to max turbo, 5.0 GHz all-core, possibly generating more heat than some coolers can handle...; stock behavior would likely be 4.6-4.7 GHz sustained on all cores...)

Apr 23, 2022
I have MSI afterburner but I don’t use it because I haven’t found any reason to use it yet. I think my current motherboard should be good and I’m probably not gonna upgrade it uet

Apr 23, 2022
Rn I have a forge 100R. I live in Taiwan so there aren’t a lot of shops like micro center, rather I just got everything online with my dad.

Last edited:

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Rn I have a forge 100R. I live in Taiwan so there aren’t a lot of shops like micro center, rather I just got everything online with my dad.
I have looked at the case and it will support a 240mm radiator on both the top and front of the case. It will also accept air coolers up to 160mm in height so you do have options.

Out if interest did you buy the parts and assemble it all or did you buy it pre built?

Have you managed to test the temps when gaming or stress testing yet? Understanding what temps you are reaching would help.

Apr 23, 2022
Thank you, does the one you suggest fit the size? and yes it was prebuilt but we decided that we would upgrade some parts if it experiences bottleneck or etc. by stress test you mean the one from Afterburner? Then yeah I tested that but that was a while ago

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
The arctic one will definitely fit on the front of the case. It may fit on the top as well but due to the thicker radiator then it may impede the top of the motherboard.

Before we go down that route though I would suggest monitoring your cpu temps in windows to understand what temperatures you are experiencing at idle and gaming. Lots of free software such as HWinfo will give you this information.

When I shut down my pc it shows a msg saying my cpu is overheating, but when If I restart my pc it shows my cpu temp at around 40-50 degrees. It might actually be overheating but I don’t know. I have a MAG coreliquid 240R
Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Since pump is build into radiator, I wouldn't suggest installing radiator on top of the case.

Reactions: MEMOFLEX
Apr 28, 2022
I think the best processors you can get right now are the Ryzen 7 2700X and the i9-9900K. The former one offers better performance in games and has more cores, while the second one offers the best single-core performance, meaning it will be better for certain types of work such as video editing and software development for example. You can also get the i9-9900X, but it is expensive and there are too many 8-core processors available around the price of the i9-9900X while superior in every way.

Apr 23, 2022
I see I see, so basically if my temps are in around 40-60 degrees in different situations I should be fine. Alr thx I’ll check out the coolers as well

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
I see I see, so basically if my temps are in around 40-60 degrees in different situations I should be fine. Alr thx I’ll check out the coolers as well

It depends on what you are doing really. 60 degrees playing a game could be considered ok but if is is sitting at that whilst doing very little then it is too high.

For example, I have a 9900kf which is a very similar chip to yours, utilising a front mounted 280mm Corsair AIO cooler and my temperatures at desktop (idle) sit at low 30 degrees and between 45 - 60 depending on the game. Running a stress test will push it I the mid 70's - maybe as high as 80 depending on what settings being used .

Difficult to directly compare as variables such as ambient temperature, cooler model, cooler placement etc but you should still a significant difference between idle and gaming temperatures.

If you could provide details of what temps you have at idle and then at gaming that will help with what to do next.

As mentioned by SkyNetRising the location of your cooler is particularly important as you do not want the pump at the top of the loop. As your cooler has the pump in the radiator a top mount is not recommended and will reduce the life of what is already a suspect cooler.

Reactions: Jochexe
here are some of the pics, lmk if you need a better angle.
Remount radiator to the front of the case (hoses connected to lower part of the radiator).
This way:
3zm9jzmt2f421.jpg
As mentioned above, pump is in the radiator.
Pump can not be above rest of the loop.
Air bubbles will build up in pump. This causes bad pump operation and premature failure.

Reactions: Jochexe

TRENDING THREADS