CPU upgrade time...help needed! :)

MIndprison88

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
Hello everyone! I'm on the lookout for a new CPU and I've spend almost a month now researching all the available options, but I'm still undecided on what would I should end up with. So I've decided to ask the wonderful people here for an opinion.

My current CPU is the i7 875K. I'm looking for something better to pair with my R9 390X, something that will hold me for at least 3 or 4 years.

The introduction of Ryzen CPUs complicated the things even further for me as I'm also trying to predict if they are a good investment for the future games that could make use of more than 4 cores, which is of course something that might not happen for a few more years.

So, hit me with your wisdom and help me make the right choice.
Thanks in advance :)

in your case I would say either get the i5 7600(k) or wait till april when the ryzen 5 processors come out.

They are 6 cores with 12 threads and 4 cores with 8 threads.

I would say the ryzen 1600 3.2ghz-3.6ghz 6 cores 12 threads looks really promising for the upcoming years, but wait for the benchmarks which should come soon.

Mindprison

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
Thank you both, very interesting answers indeed. Yeah, going with Intel is never a bad choice because you always now what to expect from any of their CPU-s and what kind of performance you're getting for your money.

On the other hand, a part of me is excited for a new product like Ryzen that still has undiscovered potential and we still don't know how it can really perform after all the BIOS updates and fixes and after you run a true multi-threaded game on it, one that will at least use its 8 physical cores.

It seems that Star Citizen could be one of those games, as Chris Roberts himself stated in one of his videos that it's a good idea to invest in a CPU with 6 or more cores and that the game will make use of all of them.

What holds me off a little from buying Ryzen over some Intel CPU is that its current performance is some scenarios is even worse than that of an i5 processor.

What are your opinions on getting the i7 4790K or the 4790. I can save a lot of money on buying one of those, a decent motherboard and keeping my current DD3 RAM.