CPU upgrade timetable to move up due to tariff

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
In reading through lots of articles and forums it seems that it may make sense to upgrade my system before year's end. I currently have a new PSU and case (Seasonic Focus+ 650W Gold, and FD Define R6). My next purchase will be a GPU (hopefully a GTX 1080 or 1070 ti)

I am really conflicted regarding which CPU to choose - Intel/AMD. Use will be gaming (Fallout 76, the new Tomb raider, other RPGs) and some photo editing using Adobe Lightroom (my sense is that which ever CPU path I choose, either will be quite ample for LR). Once the CPU is decided upon, MB, RAM, etc can be selected.

Oh, I should mention that I am using a 2560 x 1440 60Hz IPS monitor (Auria EQ276W), but that could be upgraded as well.

Thanks for the advice.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

Thanks for the reply; so is the smart move to purchase CPU, MB, RAM, etc before the end of the year?
I do not know where they are manufactured. And if so the best price/performance is the Ryzen line....

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Pretty much everything consumer electronics is made in China, Taiwan, Malaysia and a few other locations. China is where most of the major PC assemblers are, such as Foxconn (Dell, Iphone, IPad, etc), and where most laptops are assembled. Might soon come a point where the price of an assembled system is cheaper to import than to build a system from parts, assuming that they plan to apply the tariff to finished goods and not its constituent components. (probably not, but it could get weird where we start importing from Europe)

I7-8700k (6c/12t) is up to $380, but Intel has stated there will be a delay in production, though that will likely effect mostly the 9th generation chips.

R5-2600 (6c/12t) is only $166 at the moment. R7-2700X (8c/16t) is $300. These CPUs come with decent coolers as well, Intel's do not. Add that you need an expensive Z class motherboard for overclocking, whereas on Ryzen you can use cheaper B class boards, it really adds up.

Now the Intel CPUs boast a much higher clock frequency, which is good for gaming. However, the more graphics/resolution you demand the less the CPU is important. Basically at high resolution the CPU doesn't matter all that much as long as it is enough to run the game engine. Video editing and similar like to have more CPU cores, generally.

So even if you go for a nice X470 motherboard to go with a Ryzen 2700X you are still coming out cheaper than a similar Intel platform. Leaked price for Intel's upcoming consumer 8-core CPUs was $492, so not exactly getting better (And they will be nearly impossible to get at launch)

Coupled with the GPU you plan to buy, you won't be missing out on any upcoming game title for some years.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the replies.....I do plan on a mild overclock of the CPU and perhaps RAM and GPU, but I have not done it before; does that change anything?

I should also note that price is always a consideration, but ease of integration, updating, overclocking is equally important.

thanks

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

But B350/B450 boards are only about $60. I get that the motherboard is the cheapest component in major system upgrades right now, but when you compare capabilities you aren't missing out on much. Maybe premium audio and some PCIe lane options. Really the difference between a $550 build and a $420 build at the extremes. That $100 difference is basically the next GPU up.