CPU upgrade - which Ryzen for 1080p gaming? value for money is key

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
Hi all

I have currently an AMD FX-8320 and I'm planning to upgrade the graphics card to a Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB anyway.

With that in mind is it worth upgrading the CPU as well for 1080p gaming?
If yes is the price difference between the Ryzen 3 2200G and the Ryzen 5 2600 (which is about £60) justifying the difference in performance?

As in am I getting £60 more in performance?
Taking into consideration here that the 2200G costs only £100..
Is it worth perhaps investing a bit more in RAM instead getting 16GBs of RAM?
I'm on a tight budget basically and I want to get every bit as much value for money as I can.

There is also a matter of futureproofing the machine. Albeit I've had the FX 8320 for a few years now (can't remember how many lol but must be 5).

I play mainly FPS and the occasional Dota 2.

Thank you all!

Solution
Ryzen are latest processors designed by AMD(as we know) they improved single core performance and also add hyoerthreaded option on them.
And they can run on high clockspeed so In all ways Ryzen CPUs are best (until Intel didn't release some beasts) and why Ryzen 5 2600 is better than r3 2200g. First of core count Ryzen 5 2600 has true 6 cores which all can run up-to 4 GHz. And 12 threads which means excellent performance in multi tasking. While Ryzen 3 2200G has only 4 cores and 4 Threads.

Ryzen 3 200G: superb processor for light gaming, 140 frames for OW, 110 for fortnite, etc. (these speeds are according to my friend who has the 2200g, he’s using an AIO, and idk what settings he’s running on). $98 USD

Ryzen 5 1600: great processor for for streaming and gaming (I have no FPS info for this processor) $140 USD

Ryzen 5 2600: best processor for its value imo. I haven’t seen any other processors under $250 that greatly outperform this processor. It’s $175 USD, and it definitely worth it.

For light gaming, 8gb is fine, but not very future-proof. Make sure your default speed is above 2600 MHz, as Ryzen eats RAM like a starving child at a Christmas feast.

Dec 2, 2018
Hi, in all honesty R3 2200G is better choice for money right now paired with 1060.

However, if you want to future-proof your PC, R3 2200G is certainly not a good option.
R5 2600s more cores and threads on the other hand will be very noticeably better in near future, so if you do not want to upgrade your PC every two years then this is sealed i guess...

So the best choice that I personally would go for with low budget is R5 2600 with RAM upgrade on the way.

Hope I helped.

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013

When you say RAM upgrade on the way?
Go for 8Gbs of RAM and go for another 8Gbs later?

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013

So you're saying 8GBs of RAM is not enough for 1080p gaming at high/ultra with R5 2600 and 1060?

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
I personally went with the 2600 as i have a gpu and price to performance it was the best all rounder.I went with 2x8gb memory models but.....they cost more than the cpu.So depends on mobo if you have 4 ram slots you can get away with 2x4gb models and just get another 2x4gb models later as it enables dual channel memory.If not get what your budget allows.1x8gb now and another 1x8gb later down the line(it makes a big difference but it's very expensive)

Yes that’s what I’m saying. If you look at the numbers, for intensive games, more than 8 is necessary for high frames and textures.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yeah thats not true at all.

First off: "Make sure your default speed is above 2600 MHz, as Ryzen eats RAM like a starving child at a Christmas feast."

No, Ryzen likes faster ram, it doesn't need any MORE ram than any other device.

Secondly high textures and frames are directly depending on the GPU and the VRAM onboard the GPU. Textures are stored there so the GPU can access them directly.

OP don't listen to this nonsense 8gb of Ram is fine. 16gb if you want to stream, run more stuff in the background, etc.

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
Funny you should say this and it's a good thing you prompted me as it's been manic today at work and haven't had a chance to comment on it but I was watching some videos on youtube with the differences around 8gb vs 16gb cards of the 580/1060 range and I have to say in the vast majority of situations the difference was around 2-5 frames.. which if you think about it we're talking about a difference of £50-60 depending on the RAM chip you buy. Which for me is not value for money at all. It may be futureproofing if future games start on the COD WW2 trend and bind 10Gbs for laughs but for the games I've seen I didn't see them using that much RAM.

And I won't be streaming (or doing anything else) while gaming.

It's a good shout and my initial thought was getting 8GBs only.
I got 8GBs in my current rig and the thing that uses way more RAM than games is Chrome (which is ridiculous)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yeah chrome is a killer.

Now I'm not sure what you watched but there is no 16gb of either of those cars, the RX 580 is available with 8gb, and the 1060 with 6gb. The lower versions with 4 and 3gb respectively. In those cards cases, the higher ram amount is worth it in terms of textures, and therefor fps especially in texture intensive games. But your system ram (8gb or 16gb) has little if any effect ever.

Don't get me wrong, if you can afford it, its better to get 16gb, just gives you a lot more breathing room. But don't feel you need it, especially for games.

Solution

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013

Well basically I want a quiet/silent card and I've been looking at the RX 580s and the GTX 1060s and so far the best in terms of performance/value/noise ratio seems this one:
https://www.ebuyer.com/836826-msi-geforce-gtx-1060-gaming-6gb-gddr5-graphics-card-gtx-1060-gaming-6g

It's the non-X variant and all the tests I've looked at say it's a very quiet card (near silent) even at load.

If you got any recommendations in the RX 580 8Gbs world that are as silent or more during load i'm all ears :D

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I see what you did there lol.

MSI used to sell that same cooler on the RX 580 but they discontinued it for the Armor cooler, I don't know if thats as quiet. Sapphire is the best quality brand when it comes to AMD, their coolers are high quality and silent as well, (the NITRO+). heres some numbers for you

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/dominic-moass/sapphire-rx-580-comparison-pulse-vs-nitro/11/

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013

I think the armor version isn't as quiet (according to guru3d dba level reviews - can't be sure I'll check again later) but could be wrong. The Nitro+ version did come up in some searches I did as a very quiet card but it's even pricier than the 1060 lol.
Thanks dude that gives me a bit more to look into, I'll check the armor version and the nitro+ version again and hope for some price drops!
Unfortunately I don't see if I can get any more than £80 for my 7970 on ebay and it'll take away 10% fees as well!
Oh well first world problems :D

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

No problem, glad I could set you in the right direction. Good luck.

Wow you really like jumping on me for some reason, the last 5 notifications I’ve gotten are form you disagreeing with me, and for a mod I think you could be a tad more polite.

May I ask, how much RAM does your system have? I’m guessing it’s more than 8gb. And I showed your response to a few friends, and they all chuckled. 8 gigs is not enough for high end hi res gaming. While video ram is important, some more demanding AAA games need more than 8gb. Look at the required specs for Black Ops 4 at 1080p, high refresh rates:

CPU: Intel i7-8700K / AMD Ryzen 1800X
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 or AMD Vega 64
HDD: 55GB HD space
DirectX: Version 11.0 compatible video card or equivalent
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

U sure bro?

Edit: op said he wanted to future proof his machine, so 16 gigs I’d definitely necessary.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

As i mentioned to you in the past, my job here is to correct incorrect data. If you noticed I even replied to a thread where you GOT bad advice from someone here, and set you on the correct path.

Anyway 16gb is not required or necessary for high res gaming, the fact you are insistent upon it shows a lack of fundamental understanding of how all this works. I explained it in the posts above, the GPU VRAM is what is important, for holding textures and such. Very few games today even utilize the full 8gb of VRAM many cards have, even at 4k! but we aren't even talking about 4k here, hes asking about 1080p gaming and a budget system.

No games today require more than 8 gb ram. None, nada, zilch, ZERO.

Don't know where you made those specs up from but Black Ops 4 from the horses mouth:

https://www.callofduty.com/blackops4/pc

Clearly your friends don't know what they are talking about either. What i did say is 16gb is better, and he should do it if he has the financial ability, but 8gb will do the job, especially if he is budget limited (which he clearly is as he is discussing value for money between processors that are under $150).

So yeah, I'm sure, bro.

Sorry bro. I got my information wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.