[SOLVED] CPU upgrade, Windows 10 keeps crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2020
OS ( window 10 ) keep crashing when upgrading the CPU (E5-2650 to i7-3820K). What should I do ?

My OS works just fine and smoothly with my old setup:
-E5-2650
-X79
-32GB ECC registered DDR3 1866
-650W Power supply
-500GB Samsung 860 EVO
But recently I upgraded the CPU from E5-2650 to I7-3820K which basically from the same chipset FLGA2011 and the RAM from 32GB ECC to normal 16GB DDR3 1600 to match with the 3820K. Note: My X79 mainboard supported both ECC and non-ECC RAMs. It posses normally into the BIOS but continuously freezes when load into Windows.
Things that I had tried:
  • Reinstall Windows
  • Reboot the whole motherboard and Reintall Windows again.
Recently I try changing back to the E5-2650 and it works just fine. But not with the i7-3820K. What should I do next ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
When you swapped back, I'm assuming you put back in the 32GB ecc, right?

So here's a little known fact about unbuffered ecc--it works like non-ecc when used with a non-ecc processor. So try the i7 with the 32gb and see if that works. If it does, then you've got something going on with the 16gb of ram. Also, you can try the i7 with just one memory module from the 16gb kit and see if that helps.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your motherboard? Make and model of your PSU? How old is it? Which BIOS version are you working with on your motherboard? Also, list both kits of ram that you've tried on that board and the slots you've tried working with?

Feb 3, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your motherboard? Make and model of your PSU? How old is it? Which BIOS version are you working with on your motherboard? Also, list both kits of ram that you've tried on that board and the slots you've tried working with?
Thanks for the Reply ! The motherboard is a PlexHD X79 turbo V6.0 as it was stated on the sticker on it, Im using a 700W 80+ Gold from Seasonic and It was just a year ago. I had try to find the specific BIOS version but since it was a Chinese-made board so It kinda hard to find and some Id found was written in Russian. The ECC RAMs Im using is a 32GB ( 2 sticks ) from Samsung and the non-ECC was 16GB from Kingston ( also 2 sticks ). Id tried all the slots and seem like it all works perfectly with the E5-2650 setup.

So here's a little known fact about unbuffered ecc--it works like non-ecc when used with a non-ecc processor. So try the i7 with the 32gb and see if that works. If it does, then you've got something going on with the 16gb of ram. Also, you can try the i7 with just one memory module from the 16gb kit and see if that helps.

Solution
Feb 3, 2020

Thanks for your reply!
It turned out the Motherboard was made exclusively for the E5-2650 and their Xeon family chipset ( they are cheap Chinese Motherboard after all ) and so they just work with the E5 and ECC only when I tried the I7 with another Gigabyte X79 It worked completely fine.

I think I gonna end this Thread here as for future users who may have the same problem with those old CPUs, you shouldn't use Chinese's newly made Motherboard eventhough they noted it would work for it's Chipset, you will have to deal with a lot of BIOS compatibility issues. Im not saying that the Chinese Motherboard is bad or anything It just doesnt work with every CPU in that Chipset Family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS