justnopenope

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
Hello!
I am currently running a home-built system using
FX-8350
GTX 1070
8 GB RAM
1TB 7.2k RPM HDD (previously had an SSD but it died of age)
Asrock AM3 micro ATX MOBO
After running esports titles fine for a while I was completely unaware of the bottlenecks caused by the CPU on my GPU.
I am already aware I need a new MOBO and better RAM, but I am curious:
What would be a good CPU to pair with a GTX 1070 (preferably under 150$ if possible)?
Thanks!

Solution
Hello!
FX-8350
GTX 1070
8 GB RAM
After running esports titles fine for a while I was completely unaware of the bottlenecks caused by the CPU on my GPU.
What would be a good CPU to pair with a GTX 1070 (preferably under 150$ if possible)?
Thanks!

The only logical thing to do with that budget is to upgrade to a used ivy bridge or better. You'll be able to use your RAM again in most instances, if needed.

A quick search showed up this one - 4790T cpu / motherboard + 16GB RAM. ...

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Hello!
FX-8350
GTX 1070
8 GB RAM
Thanks!

The only logical thing to do with that budget is to upgrade to a used ivy bridge or better. You'll be able to use your RAM again in most instances, if needed.

A quick search showed up this one - 4790T cpu / motherboard + 16GB RAM. :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core...004116?hash=item421c5267d4:g:UK8AAOSwVghfB3Li

Out of curiosity I did a geekbench comparison to the 8320. Looks like ~65% faster single core and 20% faster multi-core on this benchmark. With most games needing high single core performance, this should be much faster than your 8320.

O6MnaIe.png

Solution

justnopenope

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
Any cpu upgrade requires a new motherboard and RAM. This means $150 is not enough, you probably want $250 minimum.
Right, I'm considering the MOBO/RAM costs as sunk as I'm already aware those need upgrades badly.
I'm just curious what CPU goes well with a gtx 1070 (I'm trying to avoid bottlenecking further)
The 150$ price point is for just the CPU.

TFBundy

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
The OG R5 3600 is such an insane deal atm, I was holding out for Zen 3 to drop before upgrading my R7 1800 - but it's just such a good buy - I'll keep it for some project box when Vermeer comes out. Totally worth it for the IPC boost in games - even 4 threads down my project compiles are slightly faster. (I did really well in the silicon lottery btw, first time I can say that in ages.)
Not sure about the X(T) variants, where I am there is a steep jump in price; I suspect a lot of places are selling the 3600 at almost cost, and using the accoutrements to make money.