CPU Upgrade

mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Hi there
1-Will I get a real and noticeable diffrenece in upgrading my Pentium D 820(2.8Ghz 2MB cash) to Pentium D 935 or 940(3.2GHz 4 MB cash) interms of software performance , gaming and other activities ??? I use Gigabyte 945G , 600W power supply unit , 7900GT 256MB , 1GB 533 RAM ?? runing both XP and Vista HomePremium 32bit ....Would be appreciated..

2-Does adding another 1GB RAM to be totally 2 GB ram is better in vista , speed and games ??? Does it worth more than the CPU ??

Thanks in advance..

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Vista almost requires 2 gig of RAM to function. I believe you would notice more of a performance jump buying the RAM.

Those being your only 2 choices for the upgrade, go with RAM.

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
That's a tough question. Single threaded games will see more performance from a higher clock speed, such as the 3.2 Pentium D. If the games you want to play are multithread capable, then look into a dual core solution. They may be clocked slower than the P4Ds but they bury them in multi-thread capable apps and games. That might require you to look into a new mobo, I don't know the specs of that Gigabyte 945G. It may just require a BIOS flash for all I know. Check the Gigabyte website for processor compatability.

The RAM will be your largest boost in performance right now. Vista is a memory hog, and with only 1 gig of RAM, I bet you are seeing lots of page file activity. Additional RAM would speed up load times and even perhaps overall system responsiveness.

mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
You are really great guys .. rapid responsers :D ...I want to upgrade from Pentium D 820..as I hated it only from the charts :evil: being always in the bottom :cry: ...Any suitable CPU upgrade without changing the mainboard ?? If I get an answer , sure this is my last reply..Thanks for you all...

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
You are really great guys .. rapid responsers :D ...I want to upgrade from Pentium D 820..as I hated it only from the charts :evil: being always in the bottom :cry: ...Any suitable CPU upgrade without changing the mainboard ?? If I get an answer , sure this is my last reply..Thanks for you all...

I'd say don't bother with the CPU upgrade, just the RAM. Save the rest of the money for your next system.

<---- nimble knuckle? That sounds dirty.

dsidious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
I'd check with Gigabyte, send them an e-mail to support. I suspect that Core 2 Duo CPUs will not work with your board, or they will at least require a BIOS upgrade that they can send to you. At worst get yourself a new motherboard too, there are some good versions for $100. Add an E6600 and you're all set.

Good luck :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: on second thought, listen to ajfink, that's a better idea.

xjustice09x

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
There is a good chance your motherboard will support core 2 duo processors. I looked at a couple boards on the gigabyte website that use the 945 chipset and they support core 2 duo's.

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Remember, however, that should you choose to upgrade to C2D, if it's possible, that you need to look at new RAM as well. Don't think a C2D would play nice with 533mhz RAM :)

I'm looking at the Gigabyte website now, and within the 945g chipset solutions, there are multiple boards that support C2D, however, some only support up to DDR2 667. If you can post your exact MoBo model #, would help us out :)

dsidious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
The Dseries should be donated to the public as an apology for prescott. :twisted: There are children in africa who wouldnt care as long as it played video games.

Isn't it hot enough there already? :twisted:

Seriously now, those kids don't need Pentium D computers. They need governments that steal less, start fewer wars, build electricity grids and schools and hospitals and water cleaning stations. You'd be surprised how little of the foreign aid money actually makes it all the way to the children in Africa.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
The Dseries should be donated to the public as an apology for prescott. :twisted: There are children in africa who wouldnt care as long as it played video games.

Isn't it hot enough there already? :twisted:

Seriously now, those kids don't need Pentium D computers. They need governments that steal less, start fewer wars, build electricity grids and schools and hospitals and water cleaning stations. You'd be surprised how little of the foreign aid money actually makes it all the way to the children in Africa.

It truly is sad how little of the aid given around the world in general actually reaches its intended destination (i.e., the people). Food aid in North Korea goes to its military and food and money to Africa end up in many places in the hands of local warlords for much the same purposes.

Sell the processor on Ebay or put together a backup rig.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
As long as the sockets are the same,(so cpu will fit)then yes as long as bios supports it,you will see a significant difference between them.As for a second gig of ram,go for it.2 gigs of ram is recommended for todays games even in XP.However it is a must for VISTA to run efficiently,and for games on VISTA,well I would recommend 3 gigs for good performance.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471

metrazol

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

None of the world powers want Africa to develop. It's much cheaper to just send them "aid" which encourages the cycle of overpopulation, poverty, violence, lack of security, and consequential underdevelopment. The developed countries can then continue buying up Africa's natural resources at a fraction of their potential cost. Blood diamonds? Pa! Blood tin. Blood silver. Blood gold. Blood copper. Blood aluminum. Blood lumber. Blood oil. Of course, one must be a nasty evil neo-Malthusian or something to even suggest that at least part of that is placenta blood.

SockPuppet

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Hi there
1-Will I get a real and noticeable diffrenece in upgrading my Pentium D 820(2.8Ghz 2MB cash) to Pentium D 935 or 940(3.2GHz 4 MB cash) interms of software performance , gaming and other activities ??? I use Gigabyte 945G , 600W power supply unit , 7900GT 256MB , 1GB 533 RAM ?? runing both XP and Vista HomePremium 32bit ....Would be appreciated..

2-Does adding another 1GB RAM to be totally 2 GB ram is better in vista , speed and games ??? Does it worth more than the CPU ??

Thanks in advance..

Ram. . . go with ram. That extra 400MHz won't do squat.

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Those that are showing "-" are "under testing" which means no. If it can't support the baseline C2D, it won't handle the newer revisions. You really only have one upgrade path with the board you currently have. Buy the RAM you were asking about earlier and stretch your system life a little more. Don't waste any cash on an upgrade for your CPU, save that towards new system.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Remember, however, that should you choose to upgrade to C2D, if it's possible, that you need to look at new RAM as well. Don't think a C2D would play nice with 533mhz RAM :)

I'm looking at the Gigabyte website now, and within the 945g chipset solutions, there are multiple boards that support C2D, however, some only support up to DDR2 667. If you can post your exact MoBo model #, would help us out :)

Actually, C2Ds run perfectly fine on DDR2-533, without much of a performance penalty compared to say, DDR2-800, since it is in sync with the 1066MHz FSB.

Of course overclocking is a different story. ;)