than

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2001
Hi, I have a asus P4533-E motherboard with P4 2.26GHz. i am planning to upgrade it to P4 3.06 GHz/HT. Could i use the P4 3.0GHz/HT (800MB frontbus) instead? By the way, what's pcb? I checked Asus website, it is said P4B533-E with pcb 1.02 or later will support the P4 3.06/HT.

Thanks,

than

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I could look up your motherboard, but just by the name it sounds like it has a 533MHz FSB limitation, so no P4C 3.0GHz for you. You'll have to stick to the P4B 3.06GHz.

As for PCB, that's just short for Printed Circuit Board, or in other words, the hardware. Sometimes manufacturers realize that they made a mistake and so they tweak their manufacturing and release the 'fixed' hardware under the same product name but with a new version number. In your case you need your motherboard to be their version 1.02 (or higher) of the P4B533-E.

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>

endyen

Splendid
They wont know what revision your board is. It will be written on the box, usually a bit of paper glued on, and it will be printed on the pcb itself. With Asus, the rev. is usually printed between the last 2 pci slots.