Cpu Upgrade

G

I have an old 120mhz Pentium Packard Bell 1.2gb hard drive, 16mb Edo ram. I would like to know what upgrades are possible for the cpu and what are they. Thanks.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>Packard Bell </b> Ouch!!!
It would be pointless to upgrade it (or impossible!!!). The most you can go, I think, is a plain old Pentium 166MHz <b>ONLY</b> if its mobo can support.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
you are best off ditching
those are noteriously hard to upgrade
you mine as while just keep the moniter and made the hard drive and biiuld your syustem with what you have
but i bet your not going to be able to salvage much out of that system
one thing you could do would be to buy a barbone system for mwave.com and then put in the cd rom and the floppy drive and throw your old hard drive in ther but you have to bascallly get a nother hard drive becuase that isn't qiute big enough now
this would proabbly cost you form 300 to 600 dollar us.
depending on what sound card, video card, and hard drive you might get

some people just don't know and make pointless replys, i have an old packard bell 75 sitting at my feet now with an evergreen technologies idt winchip at 200, there are 240 and 300 mhz available but you have to check on their site to see if they are compatable with your motherboard.and although they are not the fastest , it is a viable upgrade path that is much cheaper than buying a whole new system, so people if you don't know please don't post a stupid opinion

G

How much do you want to spend on the upgrade?

SEARCH FIRST, THEN POST

G

Get a new system, prices are low across the board so if you get a mid range system now it should last you a very long time.

I AM Canadian.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>i have an old packard bell 75 sitting at my feet now with an evergreen technologies idt winchip at 200, there are 240 and 300 mhz available but you have to check on their site to see if they are compatable with your motherboard.</b>
And how faster would it run compares with your old system 20%?(I'd doubt it). Your suggestion would have applied only if he were here 3 years ago!!! It's not <b>VIABLE</b> or <b>MAKING SENSE</b> right now.
My point is he would eventually upgrade his system not only mobo and CPU but also its hard drive, memory (REMEMBER it's EDO!), probably CD-ROM... Almost his system.
BTW, most of newer CPUs (from Pentium MMX and later, AMD K6 and later) run with <b>DUAL</b> voltages that his and your mobos <b>CANNOT</b> support.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
THG just recently did an article on this whole subject. It shows how to go about replacing the CPU with a faster one.

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/01q1/010212/index.html

Of course, the system performance will still suck compared to even a modern day Celeron/Duron 500MHz system. So is it really worth it to upgrade? I doubt it.

If it were me, I'd just get a bare bones system and put any IDE devices that you can salvage (such as your hard drive) into it and continue using the same monitor. (At least if you can.) It'll cost more, but it will also last for far many more years than upgrading that old thing will. (I should know since this is sort of what I did to upgrade my Pentium 133MHz system.)

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

look a lot of people only use their system to check email ,surf the net, do their check book and maybe edit a photo to send to friends in an email, they dont NEED a 1 gig tbird for this, a simple 200 to 300mhz chip will do all of this just fine, actually except for the photo editing you cant tell the difference between a 400mhz machine and a 1 gig machine all the extra mhz is just wasted and never used.
so lets see
new case $45 minimun
new motherboard $75-$150
new memory $35
new processor $50-$150
new video card $35-$75 (i belive his is on motherboard, mine is)
time to remove everything needed from old case and install everything in new case ??????
time to reinstall operating system and all of your software???????
this can add up to $200 minimum to $350 or more if he has the know how to do it
IDT Winchip $50-$125 and 5 minutes to change it, start system
NOW WHAT MAKES SENSE IF YOU DONT NEED THE PROCESSING POWER

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>a lot of people only use their system to check email ,surf the net, do their check book and maybe edit a photo to send to friends in an email</b>
Have you notice he only has 16Meg of RAM? With a little of RAM like his, I doubt he can do any Multitasking tasks very much. And you know how much would it cost if he wants to increase amount of them (~$40 for 1 stick of 16 Meg EDO RAM and he needs at least 2 of them and 128Meg of SDRAM only ~$35!).
<b>they dont NEED a 1 gig tbird</b>
I agreed with you that 1G CPU maybe overkill but 600MHz is not, and it wouldn't cost a fortune to do it. I built it for my brother recently a Duron 650 for ~$300 (used some old components in his old comp).
<b>new video card $35-$75 (i belive his is on motherboard, mine is)</b>
That is one of reason I wouldn't suggest him to upgrade his system since it <b>SUCKS</b>. It's probably 1 or 2 Meg Video card and it is hardly able to support higher resolutions or bigger monitor (I guess he has a 14" monitor) also you couldn't disable it in case you want to buy a newer, improved video card.
<b>this can add up to $200 minimum to $350 or more if he has the know how to do it</b>
I bought my Packard Bell Pentium 166 MHz 5 years ago for $1500 with 32M EDO RAM, 1.3G HD and 1Meg integrated Video card.
<b>NOW WHAT MAKES SENSE IF YOU DONT NEED THE PROCESSING POWER</b>
And <b>HOW LONG</b> are you going to keep up upgrading like that? I said <b>EVENTUALLY</b> he will need to upgrade his whole sytem sooner or later, and it <b>doesn't make sense</b> just upgrade half-way like yours. I certainly wouldn't upgrade my system by buying Evergreen chip, it would be like not upgrading your system at all (You would hardly see any noticeable improvement in performance)!!!.

yes i did notice the amount of ram,and i also sent him an email offering FREE edo ram that i have just collecting dust.As far as the video card the motherboard will automatically disable the onboard video as soon as you put a new video card in a slot.Like i've said before in other posts ,some people can not afford to buy a new computer and they want advice on the cheapest way to get better performance out of the computer they have now.I don't know if this is the case with this post ,I was trying to answer his question as knoledgeable as i could. not tell him his comp sux buy something better.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have to go with Rick on this one. I sell REFURBISHED computers-DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS! I take an average PC with a motherboard that only supports 100, 133, or 166MHz processors MAX and then put Pentium MMX OVERDRIVE processors in them. I alos put 24MB of ram in them. The processors I use are usually 166MHz. Sometimes 200MHz. People are EXTREMELY HAPPY with them. Heres the REAL DEAL-the average user is not interested in playing anything more than solitare on their computer. They only want to go on the internet. A PC will run Windows 95 fine on 8MB of ram. But 16MB is better when they use the net because IE4 needs the space to prevent a significant amount of the page being cached to the hard drive. 24MB seems to be just perfect because it allows them to open more than one page. Even though most newer programs claim that they require 32MB, they run fine on 24MB, the programer was just playing it safe on the recommendations. Now, with 166MHz, the web just flies by. And when I get really greedy, I put 200MHz MMX Overdrives in them and charge an extra $30 over the 166 MMX overdrives. So if your using a computer as the typically user does, opening one or two webpages, playing solitare or online checkers or whatnot, editing documents, etc., you don't need a fast computer! BTW I have been selling 16MB FPM Simms for $20 plus $5 shipping. A lot of the PC's I buy come with more than 24MB of ram-I cut those back to 24MB to make them all the same spec/same price!

Suicide is painless...........