Question Cpu upgrade

Sep 29, 2019
Hi new here.
Have a i7 4820k , which I've owned 5/6 year and decided to overclock it 8 months ago as I bought a aio. Got easily to 4.6 ghz

It's been running fine, doing photoshop gaming etc.

But I started streaming and gaming a few weeks ago and it crashes twice.
And also anno 1800 I notice I had to close Google and photoshop etc for it to run smooth on maxed settings it have the odd stutter.

Plus I was playing the games from hdd at the time.

I reduced straight down to 4 ghz and its been running fine.

I haven't messed with any voltage I've just used Intel tuning software.

I want know would changing the voltage make it much more stable .

And also I was also thinking of upgrading the cpu to a 4960x for the extra cores.
Would it be worth the upgrade.

PC specs
Zalman z11 plus but have a Evga dg 85 on way
Asus p9x79 motherboard
Intel 4820k
16 gb of corsair vengeance ram
Samsung 500gb ssd os & programs
Samsung 1tb ssd new
1tb hdd games
550w ocz psu
Corsair h80i v2
Zotec 2060 amp gpu

Hey there,

Yes, getting a stable OC on you It 4820k will help, and prevent the crashes. With that said 4c/8t, is just not cutting it for gaming and streaming. Here's Tom's comprehensive article on it: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-streaming-encoding-coffee-lake-ryzen,5326-6.html

Even an I7 7700k isn't quite enough for 1080p high games settings/ high stream output. A 6c/12t CPU is almost mandatory, and most would recommend more, like a Ryzen 3700x/Intel 9700k.

The upgrade to a 4960x on the system you have would be the best and most cost effective solution to giving you more longevity right now, and your system as is, is no slouch, so it would be a worthy upgrade for the price, and still keep you relevant for a year or two more at least. Games now, love more cores and threads, so with just the CPU upgrade, I feel you're good to go for a while.

I wouldn't necessarily consider a system upgrade just yet.

On a side note, depending what PSU that OCZ is, i'd consider something more substantial if you are OC'ing, which you will need to do a little with the 4960x.

Sep 29, 2019
Hey there,

Yes, getting a stable OC on you It 4820k will help, and prevent the crashes. With that said 4c/8t, is just not cutting it for gaming and streaming. Here's Tom's comprehensive article on it: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-streaming-encoding-coffee-lake-ryzen,5326-6.html

Even an I7 7700k isn't quite enough for 1080p high games settings/ high stream output. A 6c/12t CPU is almost mandatory, and most would recommend more, like a Ryzen 3700x/Intel 9700k.

The upgrade to a 4960x on the system you have would be the best and most cost effective solution to giving you more longevity right now, and your system as is, is no slouch, so it would be a worthy upgrade for the price, and still keep you relevant for a year or two more at least. Games now, love more cores and threads, so with just the CPU upgrade, I feel you're good to go for a while.

I wouldn't necessarily consider a system upgrade just yet.

On a side note, depending what PSU that OCZ is, i'd consider something more substantial if you are OC'ing, which you will need to do a little with the 4960x.
Thanks appreciate the information.

I'm looking at Gigabyte xp1200m psu at the moment.

I'll most likely get the 4960x.

Now I have one other option but I dont think be the best for gaming.
Asus Rampage vi Extreme with i9 7960x going cheap around €800

Loads of core but slower speeds.

Well, you don't need a 1200w PSU, a decent 750w will do you well. An EVGA G2/G3, Seasonic Focus Plus gold, Corsair RMX/RMi.

If you are buying the XP1200m, and it's expensive, then don't buy it. It's not a great PSU. Although it's Platinum certified, it is expensive for what it is. It's only rated at 40c for max efficiency, and if you live in a hot area, if your ambient temps are high the fans spin up very loudly. There are much better units out there in the 650w-750w range that will serve as well, and for half as much.