[SOLVED] CPU Upgrade

Jun 10, 2020
I currently have a Core i5 6600 (non-K). What is the best CPU I can upgrade to? plus I have a Dell Optiplex 7440 AIO pc and i wanted to upgrade it to its maximum limit plus overclocking..

Solution
On that motherboard the best you can do is an i7 7700K, but it won't be overclockable, so might as well go with 7700 unless you want to upgrade the motherboard as well, in which case it would be better to either go for 10th gen Intel or AMD Ryzen. This is, of course, assuming that it is a standard size motherboard, not sized specially for the AIO system. Use CPU-Z to determine the exact model number of the motherboard, and see if it is a standard size board or not. This is the major part that will hold you back on a full system upgrade, if the motherboard is non-standard you cannot upgrade it since the newer motherboard might not fit your system.

Assuming a non-standard size motherboard, best upgrade you can go for is an i7 7700, add...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Since it's got a Q270 chipset you can drop in any 6th/7th gen processor in there but I suspect your TDP limit due to the cooling assembly will have to be 65W as you already have an i5-6600(non-k). Mind sharing an SKU to your prebuilt?

Also in it's current stage, please make sure you're on the latest BIOS version prior to any upgrades.
To add, the Q series chipset will not allow you to overclock and the AIO is not designed for overclocking.

Jun 10, 2020
so it means i can't upgrade to a K processor if i have a power limit?
also i only have a Q170 chipset and it seem i couldn't find my SKU. but thanks for the answer. :)

need4speeds

Distinguished
The boost speed of 3.6ghz is likely the max for the cooling it has.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core i5-6600.html

Throttlestop.
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Some other threads on it.

Jun 10, 2020
I have a AIO system with non soldered parts, and i want to make out my upgrades my specs:
Motherboard: OEM mobo dell optiplex aio 7440 skylake chipset q170 currently i5 6600 non k
RAM :8 GB standard
GPU : IGPU
HDD 500GB 7200 rpm
can you help me to max out upgrades?

On that motherboard the best you can do is an i7 7700K, but it won't be overclockable, so might as well go with 7700 unless you want to upgrade the motherboard as well, in which case it would be better to either go for 10th gen Intel or AMD Ryzen. This is, of course, assuming that it is a standard size motherboard, not sized specially for the AIO system. Use CPU-Z to determine the exact model number of the motherboard, and see if it is a standard size board or not. This is the major part that will hold you back on a full system upgrade, if the motherboard is non-standard you cannot upgrade it since the newer motherboard might not fit your system.

Assuming a non-standard size motherboard, best upgrade you can go for is an i7 7700, add another 8 GB of RAM for 16 GB, and get a mid-range GPU like a GTX 1660 or 1660 Super(assuming the PSU can handle it).

Solution
Nope, that's definitely not a standard motherboard, in fact it doesn't even have a full-size PCI-e slot, so you can't install a GPU either, only integrated graphics. There's really not much room to upgrade this system, except for, like I said, a CPU upgrade. You'll still be on integrated graphics, which might be 5-8% faster than the one on i5 6600.

Lutfij

Titan
It doesn't work like that, USB Type-C can work off of a Thunderbolt port but a Thunderbolt port cannot be adapter off of a USB Type A port. There's a difference in how they are wired and then there's licencing involved with the technology.

In short, A thunderbolt port can double as a TB port and a Type-C port but a Type-C port will not be a TB port as well, in spite of having the same connector design.

You can't run a eGPU without a thunderbolt connection and you can't have a thunderbolt connection without upgrading your motherboard, which as Shektron pointed out, you aren't able to upgrade.

I hate to say it, but if you can't add a gpu to your current motherboard or upgrade your motherboard, it doesn't look like you can squeeze any more life out of your PC.

Reactions: Shektron