[SOLVED] CPU upgrade

Vlade

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
Hi! So I'm planning of buying Ryzen 7 5800X but I would really want to get confirmation to my conserns from someone who knows more than I do.

My setup is currently:
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Windforce
MOBO: ASRock B450 Pro4
RAM: G.Skill 2x8GB, Ripjaws V 3200MHz
PSU: Seasonic 650W FOCUS+ 650 Platinum

And the question is am I good to go with just bios update? I think I have checked everything so it should be fine but would like to hear from someone who knows what they are doing.

Also if the answer for the first question is yes, can I update my bios straight to the latest version (4.50) from the current version (1.80)? Or do I first need to update to the 3.20 version wich adds support for the 3rd gen and after that to the 4.50 version for the 5000 serie?

Solution
Now it is listed as a supported CPU on the website. There is no article about it but they have added the CPU to the mobo page. ( http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450 Pro4/#CPU ) Also the BIOS update 4.50 says "Supports Ryzen 4000 G-Series and 5000 series CPU."

My last concern is the BIOS update. I did check all the older versions and what I only see is "If the current BIOS version is older than P1.80, please update BIOS to P1.80" and my version is 1.8 so should be ok. Also "Please install "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.50.16.01_WHQL" or a later version before updating to this BIOS." but what I can see this is Radeon GPU drivers right? And since I have Nvidia I do not need this, correct?

So I can update...
Looking on the ASRock website, they haven't listed support for Ryzen 5000 series cpus yet (AMD has officially stated bios support for Ryzen 5000 on 400 series motherboards is coming in the new year).

Whilst the latest Ageasa might technically add support for the 5000 series, I would hold fire until they've had chance to test it properly and list it as officially supported. Once the support is added for your board then you should be good to go, the only thing you are missing out on staying on a B450 is PCIe 4.0 support, however that isn't really going to impact anything at the moment.

In terms of the correct update procedure, again can't really comment until they officially release a bios supporting 5000 series.

Reactions: Vlade

Vlade

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
Alright I did more googling and I misunderstood some stuff. BIOS version 4.50 is appearently beta version for the 5000 serie so yeah not offically supported. You probably don't know but I will ask anyways. Any idea how long bios versions usually stay in beta untill offical release?

Alright I did more googling and I misunderstood some stuff. BIOS version 4.50 is appearently beta version for the 5000 serie so yeah not offically supported. You probably don't know but I will ask anyways. Any idea how long bios versions usually stay in beta untill offical release?

Well I think in this case it will be until AMD officially approve bios support for Ryzen 5000 cpu's on the 400 series motherboards. I don't think motherboard makers were supposed to offer support this quickly so my guess would be the 'beta' label is due to that.

I would look online and see if anyone with B450 boards have tested out the Ryzen 5000 series cpu's on B450 boards yet, it might be fine (the fact the Ryzen 5000 cpu's use the same IO chip as the 3000 series makes me think it should be fairly easy to get them working).

All we'll ever get are BETA BIOS' for B450 boards because AMD only committed to releasing a BETA version of the AGESA code that forms the basis for all BIOS'.

Asrock's definitely one of the leaders here as the B450 AGESA wasn't supposed to be available before early next year. But apparently they work? Not that it matters much as we're still waiting for broad availability of the CPU's anyway.

Reactions: cdrkf and Vlade

Vlade

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
Now it is listed as a supported CPU on the website. There is no article about it but they have added the CPU to the mobo page. ( http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450 Pro4/#CPU ) Also the BIOS update 4.50 says "Supports Ryzen 4000 G-Series and 5000 series CPU."

My last concern is the BIOS update. I did check all the older versions and what I only see is "If the current BIOS version is older than P1.80, please update BIOS to P1.80" and my version is 1.8 so should be ok. Also "Please install "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.50.16.01_WHQL" or a later version before updating to this BIOS." but what I can see this is Radeon GPU drivers right? And since I have Nvidia I do not need this, correct?

So I can update from 1.80 straight to 4.50?

Reactions: cdrkf

So I can update from 1.80 straight to 4.50?

That all sounds correct to me - and yeah the vga driver thing is for processors with integrated graphics.

Solution