[SOLVED] CPU UPGRADE

Tom4646

Prominent
Nov 17, 2020
Is it worth upgrading from i5 7600k to i7 12700k or should I wait until meteor lake release? How much difference should I expect in fps? I have an RTX 3080 and gaming at 4K .

Solution
I suppose it depends on if you want to do it cheaply or go for a full system upgrade.

If you have decently fast DDR4, you could pick up a DDR4 AlderLake board and keep that. i5-12600k would seem to be a good choice. Don't want to spend too much since the CPU after that must be DDR5 and would mean a new board, and memory minimum, but also likely the CPU since the LGA1700 socket isn't expected to last beyond two generations.

I went with the cheaper stop-gap measure. i9-10900F, a nice 10 core so I have threads for the future, and quite good low thread count performance. Similarly, a 10th or 11th gen i5 or i7 would also be a big step up from an 4 thread CPU.
Is it worth upgrading from i5 7600k to i7 12700k or should I wait until meteor lake release? How much difference should I expect in fps? I have an RTX 3080 and gaming at 4K .
It will very much depend on the game. Newer AAA games will be limited by a 4 thread cpu even at 4K, some games may even be unplayable (Gears 5 comes to mind). However you don’t need a 12700k, at 4K it won’t give any better performance than say a 3600/5600X/11400 but I get you might be wanting headroom for the future.

Tom4646

Prominent
Nov 17, 2020
It will very much depend on the game. Newer AAA games will be limited by a 4 thread cpu even at 4K, some games may even be unplayable (Gears 5 comes to mind). However you don’t need a 12700k, at 4K it won’t give any better performance than say a 3600/5600X/11400 but I get you might be wanting headroom for the future.
Yeah, I'm looking for a future proof cpu. I don't upgrade my PC every year, but every 5th generation. I just not sure about this one if it will give me something difference.

Yeah, I'm looking for a future proof cpu. I don't upgrade my PC every year, but every 5th generation. I just not sure about this one if it will give me something difference.
As I say, it will depend on the game. Some games (Gears 5) for example run terribly on a 4 thread cpu, other games are held back but playable and some running perfectly fine. If you want to run any game at 60fps or above you definitely need a cpu upgrade.

Reactions: Tom4646

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I suppose it depends on if you want to do it cheaply or go for a full system upgrade.

If you have decently fast DDR4, you could pick up a DDR4 AlderLake board and keep that. i5-12600k would seem to be a good choice. Don't want to spend too much since the CPU after that must be DDR5 and would mean a new board, and memory minimum, but also likely the CPU since the LGA1700 socket isn't expected to last beyond two generations.

I went with the cheaper stop-gap measure. i9-10900F, a nice 10 core so I have threads for the future, and quite good low thread count performance. Similarly, a 10th or 11th gen i5 or i7 would also be a big step up from an 4 thread CPU.

Solution

logainofhades

Titan
4c/4t gaming is basically dead, unless you are only playing lightweight E-sports type games. A 12600k, and DDR4 motherboard would be a good choice. The 12700k isn't a terrible idea, if wanting it to hold up a bit longer. Z690 Asus boards have mounting holes for LGA 1200 and LGA 1700, so you could reuse your cooling as well, if it is up to the task.

Tom4646

Prominent
Nov 17, 2020

4c/4t gaming is basically dead, unless you are only playing lightweight E-sports type games. A 12600k, and DDR4 motherboard would be a good choice. The 12700k isn't a terrible idea, if wanting it to hold up a bit longer. Z690 Asus boards have mounting holes for LGA 1200 and LGA 1700, so you could reuse your cooling as well, if it is up to the task.
Thanks for your advice, but I'm looking for newer tech that has ddr5 and pcie 5.0. l knew there is no difference between ddr5 and ddr4. There is no ssd or gpu that uses pcie 5.0 yet, maybe next year. What I usually do is that I sell my old computer before buying a new one, if I upgrade to the same tech such as ddr4, in five years from now nobody will be interested in buying an old tech like an old motherboard with old cpu and, ddr4 will be dead in 1 year. By the way ddr4 is at the same price as ddr5 at least in my country.
Sorry for late response as l have work.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure we will see relevant GPUs that use PCIe 5.0, they'll support it, but chances are good there won't be anything that needs it for a good while (Assuming you would want to power something that does, already looking at 600W cards...) PCIe 5.0 storage seems silly at this moment. There aren't controllers, flash, to run at that speed. Even Intel is only doing PCIe 5.0 to the graphics slot, the M.2 slots are still PCIe 4.0. Going to have to be some breakthroughs in tech to need transfer speeds that fast. Going to need super high bandwidth internet, really fast WiFi and Ethernet, a heck of a lot more bandwidth to the CPU/Chipset.

DDR4 will be with us for a least five years. The big fabs will switch over to DDR5 production, or use their new process nodes for it. They will keep making DDR4 since that represents literally 99.9% of the market. Just because they offer the faster memory for desktops, laptops, and smartphones, doesn't mean they still won't make thousands of new products with the cheaper DDR4. They still make DDR3 graphics cards (not GDDR3), routers, SSDs...etc all commonly use the previous generation memory.

Not 'no interest' in buying older parts, they just get cheaper. Top CPU in its socket usually retains a lot more value as well. But something like a 12600k with DDR4 will be a huge boost to the gamer looking to get a new rig in about 5 years. If they are upgrading from an old quad core.

I help people with DDR3 builds even today, though I do push them to buy entry level DDR4 hardware since DDR3 is entirely dead.

If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.
If you have a need now, buy now.

Gaming at 4k resolution will likely be more limited by your graphics card(as good as the 3080 is) than the cpu.
If you play cpu centric games like sims, mmo and strategy games, then strong single thread performance means all.
If you play multiplayer with many participants, look for many threads.

Yes, I think it is time to upgrade your 7600K
It has 4 threads and a passmark rating of 6878. That is when all 4 threads are 100% busy.
The single thread rating is 2573.
The I7-12700K has 20 threads and a rating of 29484/3827.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-12700K&id=4609

I would think that the I5-12600K would be about right.
16 threads 24518/4034
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-12600K&id=4603
Passmark on these processors have relatively few submissions, so take them with a grain of salt.
But, you get the idea.

On the DDR4/DDR5 issue, DDR5 motherboards seem to be a bit more expensive. Not enough so to preclude buying them if ddr5 ram is cheap enough.