[SOLVED] CPU upgrade

Jul 3, 2022
Hi all,

I considering upgrading my CPU on my 5 year old PC and wondering whether it's worth it. My interest is getting better fps on games i.e. Elden Ring which currently struggles at 30fps :)
I currently have:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS motherboard
  • 32GB Corsair CMK8GX4M1A2400C16 Vengeance LPX 8 GB (4 x 8 GB)
  • NVidia Geforce GTX 1080
  • Evga supernova 550 g2 PSU (5 years old)
  • 2 x 512GB Western Digital SSD (WDC WDS500G1B0A-00H9H0)
I was thinking of upgrading to a Ryzen 7 2700X which looks to be compatible with the B350-PLUS. I can find one on eBay currently for about $200.

Do you think this would be worth doing ? I'm a complete novice with home builds and upgrading PCs so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
First, find out why you are currently struggling.
Usually, it is because of weak processor or weak graphics.

Run this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

My guess is that your CPU is the limiter.
Yes, a 2700X would be a modest upgrade.
The worth of that is something only you can determine.
I would try to pursue a stronger, later gen 5600X
You would need to upgrade the motherboard bios to support one.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard, you might want to look into a brand new CPU from the 3000 or 5000 series as opposed to buying a 2000 series processor, which in all fairness is just slightly more expensive than what you've seen listed on Ebay.

Also, your specs are incomplete. Please list the make and model of your PSU(as well as it's age), the ram kit used and the storage you're on for your build.

Reactions: jdxm21
Hi all,

I considering upgrading my CPU on my 5 year old PC and wondering whether it's worth it. My interest is getting better fps on games i.e. Elden Ring which currently struggles at 30fps :)
I currently have:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS motherboard
  • 32GB DDR4
  • NVidia Geforce GTX 1080
I was thinking of upgrading to a Ryzen 7 2700X which looks to be compatible with the B350-PLUS. I can find one on eBay currently for about $200.

Do you think this would be worth doing this? I'm a complete novice with home builds and upgrading PCs so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
2700x should better by about 20% single core/IPC performance and about 30% all core.

Reactions: jdxm21
Jul 3, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard, you might want to look into a brand new CPU from the 3000 or 5000 series as opposed to buying a 2000 series processor, which in all fairness is just slightly more expensive than what you've seen listed on Ebay.

Also, your specs are incomplete. Please list the make and model of your PSU(as well as it's age), the ram kit used and the storage you're on for your build.

Thanks very much for your reply Lutfij. I've updated my original post with the additional info.

I wasn't aware of the new 3000 and 5000 series. Would these be compatible with my board? I used CPU upgrade to identify the 2700x as a compatible processor but didn't see the new series on there:

https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/PRIME_B350-PLUS.html

alexbirdie

Respectable
Should be OK . You must upgrade the BIOS to newest version.
Best upgrade would be a 5700x, because it does not need much power and the VRMs on your motherboard might get problems f.i. with a 5950x (top-model with 16 Cores/32 threads).

Look at that:

Last edited:
First, find out why you are currently struggling.
Usually, it is because of weak processor or weak graphics.

Run this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

My guess is that your CPU is the limiter.
Yes, a 2700X would be a modest upgrade.
The worth of that is something only you can determine.
I would try to pursue a stronger, later gen 5600X
You would need to upgrade the motherboard bios to support one.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS