CPU upgrading question

Jan 18, 2019
I have a Lenovo k450e with a Intel Core i5 4460 LGA 1150

I wanted to upgrade to a Intel Core i7-4790 Processor LGA 1150

I found one on Amazon, and this is the first thing under details,

"Compatible with Z87 and Z97 motherboards. Z87 motherboard users may need to apply a BIOS update for compatibility. ***Not compatible with Intel Motherboards.***"

M/B is a stock LENOVO 31900058 STD or WIN
I'm running an Intel system and upgraded my GPU, PSU, and added an SSD.

Will this work? Same RAM? Any issues?

With prebuilts it very much depends whether they released a BIOS which allows for such an upgrade. I personally suggest sticking to the original CPUs the model offers is probably the safest (if limited) way of upgrading.

Finding this http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool%5CSys/PDF/Lenovo%20Desktops/Lenovo%20K450e/Lenovo%20K450e.pdf suggests the i7-4790 is a viable option.

If you can find the motherboard model (that one doesn't seem to bring anything up), consider running it through Userbenchmark's compatibility search engine as it were. It should show CPUs being used with that motherboard giving additional assurance.

Jan 18, 2019
Appreciate the thoughts, the screenshot of the manual makes me a bit more confident.

My motherboard is a LENOVO Model CIB85M. I'm using CPU-Z.

If you've got another minute to help me out, would you feel comfortable if you were me to pull the trigger and do the CPU upgrade keeping my current motherboard?

Also, is the upgrade worthwhile (the i7 -4790)? (If I do it, I'm getting a used one for $199.99)

Strange. Those model codes don't seem to turn up the usual things I'd expect.

With the i7-4790 being an original configuration option then it should be fine. My thought process is Lenovo would have had motherboards manufactured so certain hardware is compatible, eg. specific CPUs. Rather than have multiple BIOSes for a PC model it would have the one BIOS for that product line (so perhaps an i3, i5 and i7 options on the same BIOS).

Assuming the above, is it worth the upgrade? Depends what your usage is.

If the software (games, productivity, etc.) can take advantage of multiple threads then there should be an appreciable difference. Certain modern games can take advantage of multiple threads; I believe Battlefield V is such a game.

If the software can't take advantage of multiple threads, then there should be some performance increase just from the i7's higher clockspeed. I wouldn't expect it to be a spectacular increase in performance though.

More practically, see if there's a returns policy to keep yourself covered before purchase just in case the upgrade doesn't work.

TRENDING THREADS