tracker39

Commendable
Nov 5, 2017
Hello guys. My cousin recently bought a brand new gaming PC (The build is below).
He bought it from an eshop with the newest windows 10 version installed and when he got the pc he just installed a couple of games and some programs like discord or steam..

After that he opened fortnite and discord to play with his friends and with just these 2 programs the CPU usage was 85-90% and the game takes 5 minutes to load...but it failed in the end...

I used teamviewer to see for myself and the CPU Usage was 100% with 3 programs (Fortnite,Discord,Teamviewer) and the game failed to load again.. the only way to load a game is with everything else closed...

So I tried to fix it I downloaded the latest gpu drivers again, I did all the windows updates,I set the power settings to high performance, I deactivated the background apps and things like that...

and the fps were increased from 40-100 to 130-180 ( with every other programs closed...) but the CPU usage was still at 70-80%...

By the way I forgot to mention that I also changed the game's settings to minimum but the graphics were exactly the same from Highest to lowest settings and I don't know why... and yes...the settings were saved...

My gaming PC that I built 1-2 years ago with gtx 1060 6gb and i7 6700k reaches 60% cpu usage with fortnite and 2-3 programs... so my cousin's pc with his rtx 2060 and i7 9700k should have way less cpu usage.. Any suggestion? What should i do to help him? https://ibb.co/cyVztDx

Last edited:

tracker39

Commendable
Nov 5, 2017
Is the CPU reaching is proper clock speed?

Yeah... I had done a benchmark before I found out about the 100% cpu usage and it was fine.. the only problem I found then from the benchmark was the gpu... For some reason the gpu wasn't working like it should.. it was working way below the expectations.. if 100% is the best, it was working on 50-60% something like that... but my uncle asked from a friend "expert" on computers to check the cpu usage etc.. but he said he couldn't find anything wrong... I guess he was "expert" on some extent... I am not sure... Let me redo the benchmark and send you the results..

logainofhades

Titan
It's a longshot, but you could try and do a CMOS reset, in the event that there is some obscure setting, that is wrong, in the bios. You will probably need to go into bios, and set the ram speed, to its XMP setting, afterwards, to reach its rated speed.

tracker39

Commendable
Nov 5, 2017
It's a longshot, but you could try and do a CMOS reset, in the event that there is some obscure setting, that is wrong, in the bios. You will probably need to go into bios, and set the ram speed, to its XMP setting, afterwards, to reach its rated speed.

That's the results with the game open...(He didn't want to close the game...) : https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/18099984

Well my uncle and my cousin don't know anything about computers... they can't do a CMOS reset or XMP... I will try them when they visit me in a few days.. until then... any other suggestion..?

Last edited:

tracker39

Commendable
Nov 5, 2017
Have you made sure the performance plan is at 100% ? not limited in anyway ?
Well my cousin doesn't know much about computers... so he didn't do anything to limit the performance that's for sure... Someone from eshop must have done it... By the way the performance plan was at high performance and there wasn't any better option but now that you mentioned it I remembered that you can unlock the ultimate performance too. I will give it a try!

tracker39

Commendable
Nov 5, 2017
Are all the cores showing up in performance monitor?
Are we sure he didn't connect the display to the motherbd video ports and not the GPU's?

Are we sure he has a realy RTX2060 and not one of the counterfeits? https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-spot-a-fake-gpu.2920099/
1)Well yeah I saw 8 cores when I did the benchmark for the temperatures before ... Look here: https://ibb.co/st0WpmK
2)Don't worry the display is connected with the gpu.. he made that mistake at first and he connected the display to the motherboard... it was way worse.. only 20 fps xD
3)The computer was bought from a legit shop called eshop so there is no chance his gpu is fake or something...

Jul 2, 2019
Sounds like your GPU is under-performing.

Check GPU temp when gaming. Have you overclocked your GPU? If so reset to default and retest. I would also remove any drivers using DDU and reinstall.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019
I Don't know if my problem is similar to yours. but, can you check the system cpu process with CPU-Z and try checking the temp with CPU Temp.

In my experience before, when i opened the CPU temp, the CPU Load on the #1 core is stuck at 100% and when i opened the task manager with # ctrl + shift + esc # the #1 cpu core load went back to 50%-60% with the temp reduced. but, when i closed the task manager, the load runs up again to 100% and the temp, rises again.

My solution when facing this is by removing a malware in the pc that is causing this with "Malwarebytes" software.
or, if no more effort can be used, i just reinstall my windows. since i have a complete backup of all programs and files that needed to be installed after clean install.

Happy Testing.

tracker39

Commendable
Nov 5, 2017
Sounds like your GPU is under-performing.

Check GPU temp when gaming. Have you overclocked your GPU? If so reset to default and retest. I would also remove any drivers using DDU and reinstall.
No I haven't overclocked the GPU neither my cousin did... he doesn't know how..that's for sure...
Here are the gpu temperatures when playing : https://ibb.co/zn7g8h1
I will try to reinstall the drivers too. I will let you know if it works..

tracker39

Commendable
Nov 5, 2017
I Don't know if my problem is similar to yours. but, can you check the system cpu process with CPU-Z and try checking the temp with CPU Temp.

In my experience before, when i opened the CPU temp, the CPU Load on the #1 core is stuck at 100% and when i opened the task manager with # ctrl + shift + esc # the #1 cpu core load went back to 50%-60% with the temp reduced. but, when i closed the task manager, the load runs up again to 100% and the temp, rises again.

My solution when facing this is by removing a malware in the pc that is causing this with "Malwarebytes" software.
or, if no more effort can be used, i just reinstall my windows. since i have a complete backup of all programs and files that needed to be installed after clean install.

Happy Testing.
These are the cpu temperatures while playing : https://ibb.co/yhDtZgS
I don't think it's a malware this problem started from the beggining imagine when you start your new pc for the first time install a game and a couple programs like discord and you get cpu usage 100%...

tracker39

Commendable
Nov 5, 2017
Can you try running the benchmark test again, but without the game open. Just a fresh boot and then benchmark. Your low GPU score could be caused by GPU resources being used by the game, so let's rule that out.
I ran a benchmark test with the game closed and the gpu score was somewhere between 50-60% instead of 32%. I will run a benchmark test again and send you the results..

Can you open task manager and see if there are any stray tasks in there? Task Manager can also show what percent of CPU and GPU a particular application is using, you can leave the PC completely idle(nothing open that shouldn't be open), then go to Task manager and see what the CPU and GPU usage is, and what application is using the CPU and/or GPU.

Jul 4, 2019
These are the cpu temperatures while playing : https://ibb.co/yhDtZgS
I don't think it's a malware this problem started from the beggining imagine when you start your new pc for the first time install a game and a couple programs like discord and you get cpu usage 100%...

Well, good that its not a malware problem. might need to google it a bit. btw, my pc stuck at 100% load after i installed a new windows 7 and installed microsoft office. meybe because i exposed it to the internet without installing antivirus. since windows 7 defense is not the same as win 10 defender.

i'll give you another tips later if i remembered something helpfull.