CPU Usage 100% while installing a game ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamada.lovex3

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
HINT: PLEASE DON'T REMOVE THE THREAD.

Hello all, I downloaded a game "Rise Of The Tomb Raider" from some pirated site, and i'm so sorry to mention this here, as i' can't afford to buy it, please just don't remove the thread.

While installing the game, i found CPU usage goes up to 100% then lowered again, up and down, up and down...etc

I'm afraid if this is some kind of mining, although my CPU's temperature didn't exceed 50-55.c as an average, my GPU usage was 20-30% with temperature 29-30.c only.

This thing occurred during the installation process only, after that, its normal, even while playing the game was very normal too.

Something more strange happened during installation too, the setup windows was some kind of photo scene or video scene or something like this, so MSI AfterBurner details was showing up in the background, and i checked details and found that CPU usage was going above than 100%, i got more surprised, because its locked CPU (core i5 8400), however, clock speed was 3.8-3.9 GHz in the normals, so i assumed this is some kind of a bug or mistake in the software but just need to ask about too.

My GPU is MSI GTX 1070 ti Gaming 8GB

Here i have plenty of questions:

(1) Is what just happened some kind of mining?? so i should be careful??

(2) Does getting CPU Usage 100% harmful to the CPU??

(3) What it means to reach above 100% CPU usage?? as i mentioned in details above.

HINT: Again pls, pls and pls don't remove my thread.

Thanks in advance.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Installing a game requires extracting and transferring files, which requires CPU power. I don't see anything unusual about having spurts of high usage during install.

The i5 8400 wil automatically turbo as high 4 GHz, so nothing unusual there either.

hamada.lovex3

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

I totally agree, but reaching 100%, this is something i'm feeling strange, because in most other games i installed was just 30-40% as maximum, i don't know also what does it mean by reaching above 100% (120-189%).

hamada.lovex3

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

Well, when i opened the setup.exe file, it shows me the setup window, it was some kind of movie scene or photo scene or something like this with buttons and instructions of game installation, i don't know how will you understand this, but in it was showing details of usage at that windows from MSI AfterBurner, and it was showing the results by that software, in the normal task manager showed 100% CPU usage as max, by the details of MSI AfterBurner showed more than 100% CPU usage, and it was going up and down, up and down, and so on.

Err pirated software. From articles I’ve read where pirated software is tested it always contains hidden nasties. Ask yourself why would someone go to the trouble of cracking a game and then give it out for free, the answer is to distribute other nasties they have added. I expect this isn’t always the case but you will never know. Also if you cannot afford something you don’t steal it.

hamada.lovex3

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

To be more honest, let's say the truth, no one can crack a game without the permission of the main manufacturer, if the main developer of the game doesn't want it to be cracked, then he can do it easily.

Anyways, i know what i did is something wrong and bad, but now i just need to know if that what happened with me was some kind of mining or any other troubles, if you can help me with, i don't know actually.

Your statement is wrong. A huge amount of effort and money goes into trying to prevent pirating and cracking games but a determined and skilful thief can get around this. It’s no different to car theft, keyless cars are harder to steal but smart thieves find a way.

There is no way of knowing what got installed. Safest move is format the system and reinstall software only from trusted sources.

hamada.lovex3

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

Well, sorry i didn't ask about what got installed, the game is working fine with no problem at all, i asked plenty of questions about what happened during the installation, the CPU usage that was going up to 100% and down, and sometimes it was going to more than 100% and down again although its locked CPU, please check my main threads and last replies again please.

hamada.lovex3

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

Sorry for saying that but can you add something new? you're just repeating your last words but with a different way, i knew it, and i mentioned that in my main thread and last replies, now i'm asking again: What was that? normal usage during installation? it was showed more than 100% on MSI AfterBurner, but on the task manager was just 100% only, temperature was fine and safe, clock speed was also fine and normal, also while CPU usage was 100% didn't get any freezes or whatever in my desktop, is that can be harmful to my CPU ??

huntlong

Respectable
Aug 17, 2017
100% CPU usage is normal when the CPU is working hard. I’m not sure what games you usually play but anytime your cpu can’t keep up with your gpu you will see 100% usage in games.

The i5 8400 will not overheat at 100% usage unless you’ve messed with the cpu cooler settings or have it completely choked down in some zero airflow case or similar situation. It’s fine. If you are worried about a malicious file included with your download try running malwarebytes. It has an excellent free trial.

hamada.lovex3

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

I don't think that there is some kind of malicious file included, however, i scanned game files before and after installation, nothing malicious found, game also is working fine, but i'm just worried about what happened during installation as i mentioned in details in my main thread regarding CPU usage during installation and if its harmful or dangerous.

hamada.lovex3

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

Well, temperature was so fine 50-55.C as i mentioned, about voltage i don't know actually but clock speed was totally normal 3.8-3.9 GHz.

I just wonder why its showed more than 100% CPU usage on MSI AfterBurner during game installation although its locked CPU, however, both temperature and clock speeds were normal, do you think its some kind of mistake or bug??

Status
Not open for further replies.