[SOLVED] CPU usage 100% while playing fortnite

Apr 19, 2020
hello, my pc been freezing recently whilst playing fortnite. my cpu usage is 100% constant and my gpu is somewhat near 50%. i keep getting stutters and sometimes even blackscreens when my monitor turns off while my pc is still on, this only happens when playing fortnite. i run the game on my ssd. my pc specs are:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 MHz, 6 core('s), 6 logische processor(s)
16 GB ram
rtx 2070 8gb
person that finds solution gets a reward.

Solution
Is your PSU recent and adequate, or, potentially power starving the 2070? (If playing at 1080P, I'd not expect much more than 50% GPU usage anyway, and not really set any sort of 'my GPU usage should be higher' -expectations. (Make sure you have no unneeded processes running in the background that might thread-starve the game, you really do not need an AV scan or cloud storage update proceeding in the midst of your game)

A 9600K, if properly cooled and turboing to correct clock speeds, should be hitting at least 4.0-4.2 GHz on all cores; you may install/run HWMonitor to observe a load induced via CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU to confirm this is happening, and that no temps approaching greater than 85-90C occur after 15 minutes.
Is your PSU recent and adequate, or, potentially power starving the 2070? (If playing at 1080P, I'd not expect much more than 50% GPU usage anyway, and not really set any sort of 'my GPU usage should be higher' -expectations. (Make sure you have no unneeded processes running in the background that might thread-starve the game, you really do not need an AV scan or cloud storage update proceeding in the midst of your game)

A 9600K, if properly cooled and turboing to correct clock speeds, should be hitting at least 4.0-4.2 GHz on all cores; you may install/run HWMonitor to observe a load induced via CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU to confirm this is happening, and that no temps approaching greater than 85-90C occur after 15 minutes.

Solution
Apr 19, 2020
my psu is recent and adequate yes, i have bought this pc almost a year ago, i have never had any issues before, i only have gotten them since 2 weeks ago, and only in fortnite.

shadowvoid841

Honorable
Aug 14, 2017
I'm having the same problem as you. My setup is:
CPU: Pentium G3258
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti
8GB RAM

I know I'm coming in at the opposite end of the performance spectrum (this isn't my main rig, and it's kind of a Frankenstein), but according to Fortnite I should be able to run 1080p 60fps at mid-high settings.
I've had the same issue as you, CPU at 100%, GPU around 50%. Game freezes often, but when it's not frozen it runs very smoothly. I also have an issue where textures won't load right away (and I assume trying to load a massive amount of textures at the same time mid-game contributes to the freezing). Do you have the texture problem as well?

After searching for a while online I found that the problem is most likely Fortnite, as many players are experiencing freezing, not-yet loaded textures, and various other bugs with the new updates. Epic Games said they are working on it. There are hundreds of YouTube videos showing different supposed fixes from streamers and others. None of them worked for me but maybe they will work for you.

Here is one that looks promising. I didn't try it because I was afraid my setup didn't have the overhead performance to prioritize the game, but yours looks like it does. It's also potentially using regedit (if you get the accessed denied pop-up) so I would be extra careful.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjFVyJ1Xr-E

Long post short it looks like we might have to wait for the Fortnite team to release a patch, but I would also really appreciate an answer that we can do right now, especially hardware related as I am looking to upgrade this rig. Sorry I couldn't help more than that.

TRENDING THREADS