CPU Usage: 100%

I am running Windows XP on a Compaq Presario 2700. Often the Task manager
shows CPU usage at 100% for no apparent reason, mostly in the system, and the
machine goes so slow it hardly works or hangs up. Please advise.

Thought about spyware or viruses?
--
Ted Zieglar

"johnrealplaces" <johnrealplaces@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am running Windows XP on a Compaq Presario 2700. Often the Task manager
> shows CPU usage at 100% for no apparent reason, mostly in the system, and
the
> machine goes so slow it hardly works or hangs up. Please advise.

Ted:

I installed McAfee Internet Security Suite 2005 and still have the problem.
ANy suggestions?

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> Thought about spyware or viruses?
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "johnrealplaces" <johnrealplaces@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am running Windows XP on a Compaq Presario 2700. Often the Task manager
> > shows CPU usage at 100% for no apparent reason, mostly in the system, and
> the
> > machine goes so slow it hardly works or hangs up. Please advise.

map

"johnrealplaces" wrote:

> Ted:
>
> I installed McAfee Internet Security Suite 2005 and still have the problem.
> ANy suggestions?
>
> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>
> > Thought about spyware or viruses?
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> >

> > "johnrealplaces" <johnrealplaces@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I am running Windows XP on a Compaq Presario 2700. Often the Task manager
> > > shows CPU usage at 100% for no apparent reason, mostly in the system, and
> > the
> > > machine goes so slow it hardly works or hangs up. Please advise.

McAfee is not the best choice for spyware,try Ad-Aware And Spybot.

Sometimes,when you remove malware it will stop your TCP/IP
stack from working (Internet connection).
Winsock or LSP-fix will correct the problem,Download first.
Note to anyone using NOD32 Anti-Virus software,Do Not delete the
"imon.dll" this fix reports,That is your e/mail scanning engine.

YES-You need more than 1 malware program,the one's below are all free
and work well.
LSP-fix- http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Spybot S&D - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
CWS Smart Killer- http://www.safer-networking.org/minifiles.html

About Buster- http://www.spychecker.com/program/aboutbuster.html
Ad-Aware SE - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
CWShredder - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html
Hijack this - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html\
Hijackthis tutorial - http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showtopic=165
SpywareBlaster - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
SpywareGuard - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html
WinPatrol - http://winpatrol.com
BHODemon - http://pcworld.com/downloads/file_download.asp?fid=23611&fileidx=1
Bazooka -http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html
asquared2 "Trojan Remover" - http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
Socklock- http://nsclean.com/socklock.html
A nice site -
http://groups.msn.com/TeMercInternetSecuritySite/malwarecountermeasures.msnw
NOD32Anti-Virus Free 30 day trial
http://nod32.com/download/trial.htm
Process Guard-
http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/index.php?page=download
A link for free online virus and trojan scanners.
http://virusall.com/downscan.html

A listing of BHO's
http://www.spywaredata.com/bho.php?current_page=0

To see if that freeware program you are about to inststall
is infested with spyware check it out first at this link.
http://www.spychecker.com/

To help stop unauthorized downloads via your activex controls change your
default settings.
These settings are good for XP. The wording should be close for other systems
as well.
Go to control panel and open "internet options.
Click on the security tab then custom level.
make sure these settings are as follows.

Download signed active x controls>set to prompt
Download unsigned active x controls>set to disable
Initialize and script active x controls not marked as safe>set to disable
Run active x controls and pluggins>set to enable
Script active x controls marked safe for scripting>set to enable
Java permissions>set to high
Launching programs and files in a IFRAME" > Prompt
Installation of Desktop items"> Prompt
Navigate sub-frames across different domains>prompt

Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it.