CPU Usage 100%

Akshayxd

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Hi,
I am recently having problems with my dad's computer. We are running an i7-2600, and have found that the cpu is reaching temps of 85c, causing the entire system to shut down. We have installed a new aftermarket cooler, alongn with replacing the thermal paste, but after one day the temperature was rising back to 85c. We have used some programs and found that the cpu usage is sitting at 100%, despite having only google chrome and ms outlook open. Even with no programs open, the cpu usage is sitting at 100%.
His specs are:
cpu: i7-2600
motherboard: asus p8p67
graphics: gtx 750ti
ram: 8gb of 1333mhz
psu: 650W fractal

Any help is greatly appreciated

G

what process is using the cpu. right click the taskbar and go to task manager. it will open click on the processes tab, clicking on the CPU column header will sort the processes by CPU usage. sort by usage and see what is running the most. right click on it and go to end process. tell us what is using the cpu and we can advise further

Akshayxd

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Sorry for the late reply, His cpu cooler is: Artic alpine 11gt r2

We have restarted the computer, and using samsung magician software it states CPU usage is 38%
When he has his task manager open, this is what it looks like. http://m.imgur.com/IIgqKbj
According to HWinfo, the package temperature is 75c

How many anti-virus programs do you have installed?
More than one at a time can cause this issue.

Since the CPU is stuck at 100% it will be difficult to troubleshoot without ending the offending process first.
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL
Click "Start Task Manager"
Make sure you are on the Processes tab
Click the "CPU" column title to sort by CPU usage
Find the offending process
Write the name of the process down
Then click to select that process
Click "End Task"

Google the offending process to see what you are dealing with.
(You may need up update a program install a patch or if it's malware you'll need to get rid of it.)
If it IS malware the "End Process" button may not do much as some of theose types of programs like to restart themselves.

If you do believe it's a virus or malware, I recommend malwarebytes for removal.

Check the box that says show processes from all users. (In the Task Manager window)
Alternatively it may be a button but would have a similar phrase.

Akshayxd

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Hey all,
So I have left the comp on all day for around 5 hours, and noticed that the cpu starts to hit 70c within 15 minutes of being on, and then about 15 minutes after that it reaches 100% usage according to task manager. Before this it sits fluctuates between 20% usage and 60% usage, even with no programs open. By opening programs, the usage does not change, but will eventually hit 100% later on.
I have resetted the bios by taking out the battery, then putting it back in after 5 minutes. I have also resetted the bios by opening the bios and then pressing f5, and pressing 'yes' to the menu asking to restore to default settings.
I cannot find the temperature in safe mode as HWinfo will not open.
What else can be done?

Akshayxd

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

Okay, because we've had this motherboard for quite a few years and haven't had any previous issues, so guess its run its time?

Akshayxd

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

I've reset the bios, to no avail. How can I update the bios, and also how do i drop vcore?

Akshayxd

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

Okay thanks! I will try it as soon as my dad gets home