CPU Usage Always at 100%

Kunal_Rajkumar

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Dear All,

Good day. I am using a basic desktop operating on AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+, with 3 Gb RAM and the OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit with SP1.

I am pretty confused with the status of my CPU Usage which is consistently at 100% (even when all processes are shut). My RAM usage however remains at a relatively healthy 40% or so. I went through responses generated on the same issue in this wonderful forum and tried all of the following without any success:-

Firstly, started the Task Manager and closed all unnecessary processes (iCloud, some odd desktop process etc). No improvement resulted

Secondly, I shut the real time protection on the Microsoft Security Essentials. No improvement again.

Thirdly, I ensured that all temp files are removed (through Disk Clean Up) and the C drive is in any case not fragmented.

Fourthly, I removed all unnecessary software that kids keep installing by mistake. No improvement again.

I have not understood the following, to which I request for some guidance

(a) What explains the tardy CPU behaviour even after all the above actions?

(b) Is my CPU too old? Do I need to junk it? In order to keep it functional, I have not loaded heavy duty games or HD movies on it. I use it for documentation, uploading pics and essentially kids use it once in a while for browsing the Internet. I do not have any peripherals attached other than of course a wireless keyboard and mouse, a 2.1 speaker system and occasionally used HP Printer.

(c) When I am on Task Manager, and I add the resource consumption of all processes, it adds up to about 30% or so but the CPU Usage tab always shows 100%? I have not understood this issue? As of right now, there are 15 processes running on the PC with Firefox browser oscillating between 2% and 30%. But the CPU usage, as I brought out before, remains steady at 100%. What is an explanation for this?

(d) Is this ambient heat related? I am in India and the temp presently hovers around 38 deg during noon easing down to 34 or around 30 by night.

(e) Is this related to my C Drive (I have partitioned the HDD), whose capacity is about 40Gb but has now approx 6.5Gb free? All system and program files are on the C Drive.

Looking forward to your response and guidance. I thank you for your patience.

Regards
Kunal

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it's old. But it shouldn't be at 100% usage at the desktop with nothing running except Win activities. Have you disabled everything in the tray that starts with Win? See if the same situation occurs when booting to safe mode.

Run CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry portions both. https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
Run Malwarebytes and see if some malware is causing the issue. https://www.malwarebytes.org/
Update your virus pgm and run a FULL virus scan. You may have a virus.

Probably MALWARE.

DO NOT ever install "free programs" such as "CC Cleaner."
Avoid ANY program which claims to "fix" or "repair" computers.
80% OF THESE FREE PROGRAMS ARE malware.

FYI:
WINDOWS does not NEED any "FREE PROGRAMS" to run correctly.
DO NOT install these programs. You have been warned.

Delete all free programs, such as: "CC Cleaner."
Install a professional all in one antivirus.
DO NOT USE "free" antivirus.

Install antivirus.
Activate antivirus, update antivirus, scan entire computer.
Get rid of all malware which is overloading the CPU.

Solution

Kunal_Rajkumar

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Thank you for sparing your time to help me out. I do have CC Cleaner as freeware and I thought that Microsoft Security Essentials, though free, is fully and properly administered by Microsoft. I shall comply. I have tried to locate malware but the result is always clean. I somehow feel its time to junk the old CPU. Getting despondent, sorry though. Thanks so much for your help. God Bless.

Kunal_Rajkumar

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Thank you for sparing your time to help me out. I do have CC Cleaner as freeware and I thought that Microsoft Security Essentials, though free, is fully and properly administered by Microsoft. I shall comply. I have tried to locate malware but the result is always clean. I somehow feel its time to junk the old CPU. Getting despondent, sorry though. Thanks so much for your help. God Bless.