Question CPU Usage at 100% when gaming

eatatefood

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Intel i5-3600 @3.5Ghz and gigabyte 1060 6gb. When i am playing games like rainbow 6 siege or pubg. My cpu will shoot up to 95%-100% and temperature rising to 70 degree celcius. GPU will also be at around 100%(when gaming)

is there any reason for it to be that high? How can i fix it?

Thanks in advance.

If you're using 100% of both cpu and gpu, it means you're using everything to it's fullest extent. 100% usage is not a bad thing. 70c doesn't sound terribly high and should be fine. Depending on cooler design of course. Only thing you can really do to lower temp would be a better cooler, provided you have the room in the case. As well as decent case airflow.

Usually, you want both components to be used equally, at the desired frame rate you are shooting for, at less than 100%.

100% is not a good thing. If you are under your desired frame rate, and your components are at 100%, this means you may need to upgrade your components, or lower the graphical quality of your settings to achieve your desired frame rate. Furthermore, 100% utilized means maximum power draw (in watts) and maximum heat output.

I would check your monitor refresh rate and the settings you have in your game. You must have checked the usage due to some sort of stuttering or lag you noticed in game.

- Check to make sure you don't have too many programs starting with windows running as background processes. To check this press (CTRL + SHIFT + ESC) to bring up task manager and navigate to the "Startup" tab. Disable anything you don't use. Do not disable programs you don't recognize without doing a google search first!

- Lower your settings one step - Ultra to high for instance.

- Make sure you have V-Sync enabled if you do not have a G-Sync panel, or your panel is low ~60hz.

- You can overclock a 60hz panel (usually) to around 75hz. This will allow you to V-Sync to 75 FPS if you are hardware capable, giving a slightly smoother experience than 60 FPS. You can overclock your monitor by creating a custom resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel and setting the refresh rate to 75hz. If the screen goes dark, don't press anything, just wait until the timer runs out for the prompt and try lower refresh rates until one sticks.

To be clear: You cannot have a higher frame rate than the refresh rate of your monitor, those extra frames are dropped. (The only benefit I can think of would be lower input lag at the cost of visual fidelity.)

eatatefood

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Usually, you want both components to be used equally, at the desired frame rate you are shooting for, at less than 100%.

100% is not a good thing. If you are under your desired frame rate, and your components are at 100%, this means you may need to upgrade your components, or lower the graphical quality of your settings to achieve your desired frame rate. Furthermore, 100% utilized means maximum power draw (in watts) and maximum heat output.

I would check your monitor refresh rate and the settings you have in your game. You must have checked the usage due to some sort of stuttering or lag you noticed in game.

- Check to make sure you don't have too many programs starting with windows running as background processes. To check this press (CTRL + SHIFT + ESC) to bring up task manager and navigate to the "Startup" tab. Disable anything you don't use. Do not disable programs you don't recognize without doing a google search first!

- Lower your settings one step - Ultra to high for instance.

- Make sure you have V-Sync enabled if you do not have a G-Sync panel, or your panel is low ~60hz.

- You can overclock a 60hz panel (usually) to around 75hz. This will allow you to V-Sync to 75 FPS if you are hardware capable, giving a slightly smoother experience than 60 FPS. You can overclock your monitor by creating a custom resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel and setting the refresh rate to 75hz. If the screen goes dark, don't press anything, just wait until the timer runs out for the prompt and try lower refresh rates until one sticks.

To be clear: You cannot have a higher frame rate than the refresh rate of your monitor, those extra frames are dropped. (The only benefit I can think of would be lower input lag at the cost of visual fidelity.)
i have a 60hz monitor and have around 140fps while playing game, does it mean that my frames are technically capped at 60~?

If thats the case how can i lower my cpu usage?
-I am playing on medium to draw out as much frames as i can instead of the defult high they recommended for me
-Is V-sync viable? i heard that it will decrease your fps couple of years back, thus disabling it everytime

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
PUBG try these.

Screen Scale: 98-102
Anti-Aliasing: High
Post-Processing: Very Low
Shadows: Very Low
Textures: High
Effects: Very Low
Foliage: Very Low
View Distance: Very Low
V-Sync: Off
Motion Blur: Off

View Distance- This doesn't give you a distinct advantage as it only draws how much detail is rendered at a distance such as foliage and objects. Other players will still be visible at long ranges no matter if you have this set to Ultra or Very Low.

Foliage, Motion Blur, Effects- When your comfortable with your Load and FPS play around with these and see if your can find a balance.

NVIDIA Settings

Set "Maximum pre-rendered frames" to 1
Set "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance".
Set "Preferred refresh rate" to "Highest Available".
Set "Threaded Optimisation" to "On".
Set "Vertical Sync" to "Use the 3D application setting" if not by default.

V-sync- This just locks the FPS to match the frequency of the Monitor, it just prevents tearing when you have a massive FPS spike. This is useful on lower end hardware that see big FPS dips.

V-sync would lower your frame rate to 60 FPS to match your monitor, would make the usage of your components drop, and would increase input lag by a very small amount. Your input lag at 60 FPS is about 18ms, and 144 is around 8ms. It's really not that noticeable on a 60hz panel anyways - due to the dropped frames above 60, and v-sync would prevent screen tearing which cuts the image in half.

Long story short: Enable V-Sync and max out your settings. Or, max out your components and play with a little less input lag at lower settings. The choice is whatever you prefer.

eatatefood

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
V-sync would lower your frame rate to 60 FPS to match your monitor, would make the usage of your components drop, and would increase input lag by a very small amount. Your input lag at 60 FPS is about 18ms, and 144 is around 8ms. It's really not that noticeable on a 60hz panel anyways - due to the dropped frames above 60, and v-sync would prevent screen tearing which cuts the image in half.

Long story short: Enable V-Sync and max out your settings. Or, max out your components and play with a little less input lag at lower settings. The choice is whatever you prefer.
sorry for this late reply, i have capped my frames at 100fps instead of 60fps as i dun find it smooth.

now my gpu usage is at 35%-40% while my cpu is at 70%. Is there any way to not stress so much on my cpu and more on my gpu?

4 core CPUs at 100% in task manager is a fact of life these days for most games....(CPU/GPU scaling testing two years ago showed that it took at least an i5-7400 to max out/saturate the GTX1060, ergo slower CPUs are not. (If at 1080P, might as well have your game look nice, so keep max settings, as the 1060 is a very good 1080P /high settings GPU)