Question CPU usage dips corresponding to freezes in game, not universal (Destiny 2) ?

Walker_TM

Reputable
Jun 30, 2017
I've got a weird one. I'm seeing CPU usage dips which correspond to 0.5-1s complete frame freezes in game. The GPU dips correspondingly, but I'm assuming this is simply because it's not receiving any frames to render.

I recently installed a new 3080, but didn't have this issue until about a month after installing. Card benches great and all temps, voltage draw, etc. are nominal on both older CPU and new GPU.

Processor is ryzen 5 1600. Game running off of SSD (PNY SSD) and Windows off of another SSD (Samsung 840 EVO (SATA)). PSU is Seasonic 750w Plat+. Running 3x 8 pin connectors to GPU (one is a split-end connector with two 8 pins, but the GPU will happily pull up to 380w without any issues on TimeSpy).

Fixes attempted:
GPU driver clean install
GPU driver rollback to two separate previous versions I knew to be stable
Clean reinstall of game including settings files under AppData on C drive
Game mode and hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling turned off in Windows.
Download cache cleared on Steam
sfc /scannow completed
XMP settings checked for RAM on motherboard -- running at 3200 mhz
Malware scan completed
CPU tested at several stable overclocks as well as reverted to default
Page files transferred from C: drive to D: drive (where game is installed)
Windows power settings: was on high performance, tried installing AMD chipset drivers and using AMD balanced plan

No thermal throttling on VRMs or CPU core (I used to have a bulldozer processor and I'm still using a noctua top down cooler to cool the VRMs). No downclocking.

After all of these fixes, the issue is less pervasive but still exists. I think I'm looking at issues with the latest Destiny 2 update at this point, but curious to see if anyone has other ideas. No glaring issues in other games, just usual fluctuations in usage and the occasional stutter/drop by a 10-20 frames (barely noticeable -- everyone gets a little every now and then).

I'm aware I'm severely CPU bottlenecked with the new GPU upgrade on games that do stress the CPU. However, I'm not sure why that would be an issue other than overall frameratesa. That's my next upgrade but it's not in the budget right now (guess where that went...).

Image of dips in usage: graph
Not sure how to upload a .csv that I pulled from hwinfo but willing to do that if it helps

Troubleshooting I need to do: memcheck

Last edited:

Walker_TM

Reputable
Jun 30, 2017
Found a fix! For whatever reason, my HDD usage was also spiking with framedrops, despite install location of the game. I think it corresponds to when I installed Halo Infinite, also made by bungie. I thought of that, and had uninstalled the game, but I needed to clean reformat the drive to stop the stuttering. DEFINITELY a weird one.