Question CPU usage drops mid-game causing FPS to drop to ~1-4 despite temps never exceeding 61C ?

Jan 8, 2023
This has been a reoccurring problem for me for as long as I've had this PC. Sometimes the issue above happens and doesn't go away for months and then I never experience it again until some other time.

In any game, no matter the graphics settings (everything from roblox to Overwatch 2 experiences this same issue), the game will go on just fine until in about 1 minute the FPS suddenly crashes down from the high hundreds all the way from 1-4fps for about 10 seconds before jolting back to normal speeds. Google searching this problem tells me that it's overheating but my temperature never exceeds 61C while playing the most graphically intense game I play (Overwatch 2).

It would be easier to list the things I HAVEN'T tried trying to fix this problem that's been happening on and off for years now.

I have not tried:

-Tearing apart my PC and replacing the CPU

-Running an overclock

-Getting another PSU

-Getting another GPU

Everything else from changing the power options to sfc /scannow to changing and disabling some settings in the BIOS (Global C State disabled, Power Supply Idle Control to Typical etc.), I've tried already to no avail

I'm running on Windows 11 and here are my specs:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

Motherboard: BIOSTAR Group B550MH

RAM: 16gb

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You have the latest version of the bios?

See your motherboard has different versions, so make sure you look for what version you have, afaik on the left bottom corner.
https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=987#download
for the "how to", read the manual, same link.

What psu? =maker+model+wattage.

You could run UBM and link the results, this is an easy way to see what is actually in the pc and get some extra info like how old the bios is.

Jan 8, 2023
You have the latest version of the bios?

See your motherboard has different versions, so make sure you look for what version you have, afaik on the left bottom corner.
https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=987#download
for the "how to", read the manual, same link.

What psu? =maker+model+wattage.

You could run UBM and link the results, this is an easy way to see what is actually in the pc and get some extra info like how old the bios is.

Thank you for the reply. No I have not checked the BIOS itself but I'll get to it and get back to you if it works or not.

As for UBM, here's what it says on my specs:

MotherboardBiostar B550MH (all builds)
Memory10.4 GB free of 16 GB @ 2.7 GHz
Display1920 x 1080 - 32 Bit colors
OSWindows 11
BIOS Date20200907
Uptime0.8 Days
Run DateJan 09 '23 at 04:35
Run Duration123 Seconds
Run UserNZL-User
Background CPU16%

And for the PSU, it is a Xigmatek Minotaur 550W PSU. (I don't know if this helps but my PC is a pre built so I didn't know the PSU until I had to google it)