Cpu usage drops to 0% and screen freezes

Chewbastian

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017
Hello,

While playing Arma III my screen freezes for a couple of seconds and my cpu usage drops to 0 and when the screen unfreezes the usage jumps back to normal (around 30%) My temps seem to be normal.The problem occurs only when playing arma. Using the windows search is sometimes slow. Slow meaning that I can't write anything to the search bar for a couple of seconds after clicking the icon next to start menu. Any help will be appreciated.

My build:
PSU: Corsair 650W CX650M
MOBO: ROG maximus IX hero z270
CPU: I7-7700K
Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo
GPU: Asus nvidia gtx 1060 3GB
RAM: G.Skill 16GB (2x8GB), Ripjaws V, DDR4 3200MHz, CL16
SSD: Intel 256GB 600p series M.2 SSD

My cpu temps are usually around 50 degrees celcius, but they have peaked at 70 degrees celcius. GPU temps around 60 degrees celcius.

My bios is outdated (version 0505) the latest being 0701. I forgot to update the bios when I got the computer running because I was too damn excited because of it booting up since this is my first time building a pc. Could this be the problem since Kabylake is pretty new and maybe my BIOS version isnt supporting it correctly? I'm kind of scared of updating my BIOS after reading all the horror stories about failing to flash bios.

KurtRyan

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
This sounds like a software issue to me. Does it always happen in the same place in the game? I'm not particularly familiar with Arma III, so I'd defer to someone with more knowledge about that title.

Chewbastian

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017
It happens randomly in the game. Doesnt matter what I'm doing. I've played rust, csgo and black desert online with this setup without any problems what so ever. Arma III is really CPU intesive as far as what i've heard.

Ana Clara

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017

Dude, early generation (skylake) too have the same problem of freezing, and both have tha same platform then probabily this is a hardware bug... https://www.reddit.com/search?q=6700k+freeze&sort=new&t=all or https://www.reddit.com/search?q=7700k+freeze&sort=new&t=all