Question Cpu usage fluctuating

May 20, 2023
Hello everyone! This is my first post on this forum and I would like to ask for help with my PC.
My CPU randomly fluctuates even on idle, I have almost the same issue as this thread https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/peripherals-randomly-turning-off.3807239/
but mine is a lot worse, all of the components that are connected to the motherboard (i.e. headset, mouse, keyboard, USB wifi, mic) get disconnected all at the same time for like a second and sometimes even longer. I've tried 3 different GPUs, 2 Psu, and SSD, but still, the same I haven't tried replacing the ram, mobo, and CPU because I don't have extra parts. I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance!

Ryzen 5 2600
b450 mortar titanium
16gb t force 3200
rx5700xt
550w psu bronze

CPUs always randomly fluctuate. There is nothing abnormal about that. All CPUs should normally fluctuate clock speeds between 5% (Or in some cases, zero percent) CPU usage and 100% CPU usage on any or all cores, as Windows and other application processes run in the background or other automatic services are randomly run. That part is unlikely to be related to your problem.

What are the EXACT models of both power supplies you have tried, as well as their approximate ages?

What is your current motherboard BIOS version?

Have you gone to the MSI product support page for your motherboard and downloaded, then installed, the latest drivers for network adapter and audio controller? Gone to the AMD website and downloaded then installed the latest chipset and graphics card drivers?

What Windows version are you running? What build version of that Windows version?

May 20, 2023
CPUs always randomly fluctuate. There is nothing abnormal about that. All CPUs should normally fluctuate clock speeds between 5% (Or in some cases, zero percent) CPU usage and 100% CPU usage on any or all cores, as Windows and other application processes run in the background or other automatic services are randomly run. That part is unlikely to be related to your problem.

What are the EXACT models of both power supplies you have tried, as well as their approximate ages?

What is your current motherboard BIOS version?

Have you gone to the MSI product support page for your motherboard and downloaded, then installed, the latest drivers for network adapter and audio controller? Gone to the AMD website and downloaded then installed the latest chipset and graphics card drivers?

What Windows version are you running? What build version of that Windows version?
Seasonic 520w and deepcool 550w I think they are both almost 4 years
my bios version: american megatrends international llc, A.G5, 1/4/2022
and my GPU drivers is always up to date
Windows 11 pro 10.0.22621 build 22621
Thanks for commenting and giving me the possible problem to look at, Thankss!!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Amd had issues with the USB bus back then, later resolved by bios updates.

A 1/4/2022 bios is seriously out of date, there's at least 3 newer, just from date codes. That'd be the first thing I'd fix. Then see if that resolves the issues.

The Seasonic 520w (if it's a II and not the III) is decent, (the III is far below that standard), but is still a 15 year old design. None of the group regulated designs are Good for the tighter voltage tolerances of newer equipment.

Well, that certainly sounds like a motherboard failure if the external USB ports are all disconnecting but the internal ones are not. I can't think of anything else that might cause that other than, again, potentially a possibly bad power supply. The Deepcool unit is almost certainly poor quality unless it's one of very few models sold by Deepcool that were fairly good such as the PQ-M, PX-G or PX-P. They had a couple more that were ok, but not fantastic, but most of what they sold was just lower quality garbage. As to the Seasonic, as Karadjgne already mentioned, if it was an S12-II it is a very old platform but was pretty good for it's time. If it's an S12-III, it's junk.

As far as updating the BIOS goes, it is a good idea to do so but there are concerns and you'll want to probably use one of the front panel USB ports to update it if the rear ones are disconnecting. Otherwise you might end up bricking your board.