Question CPU usage rises to 100% in games ?

itsdiablo14

Honorable
Jun 8, 2018
When I open games (all games), all cores on my CPU goes to 100% and it makes my whole game throttle. I have a pretty high end gaming setup and I never had issues before, I tried doing everything online, regedit, updating drivers and really followed everything but nothing helped. Out of nowhere, it started doing that, yesterday it was completely fine..

CPU: i9 9900KF
GPU: RTX 4070
COOLER: NZXT KRAKEN 340 (yes its functionnal , rpms 2500)
RAM: 16 X 4 GB RAM 3600MHZ VENGEANCE CORSAIR
SSD: M.2 SSD 970 EVO
MOTHERBOARD: Z390 E GAMING ASUS STRIX

Last edited:

itsdiablo14

Honorable
Jun 8, 2018
Are the temperatures and clock speeds more or less normal or what you expect when you run games?
Temperatures are completely fine. My GPU temp is like 35c, it doesnt get used, my CPU is like 50c, its not overheating. There is a problem maybe BIOS related or not sure why its using CPU to run the game and not GPU..

itsdiablo14

Honorable
Jun 8, 2018
I'm not confident there's a BIOS problem, because if there was, this would've happened all the time and not all of a sudden. You could try updating it if there's something newer than what you have, but I don't think it may actually fix anything.

Have you tried running any CPU only benchmarks like Cinebench?
Im not too sure exactly how cinebench works. and diagnostics. etc

Im not too sure exactly how cinebench works. and diagnostics. etc
Cinebench is straightforward. You just hit the "Start" button next to "CPU (Multi Core)"

Screenshot_2023_09_06_at_12.49.25_PM.png

apps.12423.14241737495367733.49b272ca-c8b6-458a-b04e-3fee3a31b33a.b3ba83a5-6c72-439a-ad44-69f255ee5107

It'll give you a score, you can use that to see what other people have gotten. Though given the age of the CPU, CineBench R23 would reflect what reviewers would've used more (they would've likely used the older Cinebench R20, which runs the same thing as R23, but R23 runs the test for 10 minutes to make sure the CPU actually can sustain that score)

The clockspeed your CPU is running at is an important metric with this sort of thing. If you're using task manager to view usage this isn't particularly accurate, but especially so for GPU usage. HWMonitor typically has a good easy to read view of clocks/temps/power consumption.

itsdiablo14

Honorable
Jun 8, 2018
The clockspeed your CPU is running at is an important metric with this sort of thing. If you're using task manager to view usage this isn't particularly accurate, but especially so for GPU usage. HWMonitor typically has a good easy to read view of clocks/temps/power consumption.
My game keeps throttling and freezes... My clockspeed is at 3.6ghz

My game keeps throttling and freezes... My clockspeed is at 3.6ghz
Your CPU isn't running correctly 3.6ghz is base frequency for it which means it isn't boosting. Now if it really isn't getting too hot then there's something very wrong configuration wise. It'd be worth looking at HWMonitor to see what's happening or Throttlestop to see if they can pickup why it isn't operating correctly.

Daft question but are you connecting to the motherboard or the GPU with hdmi or DP sounds like the GPU is detected but isn't being used properly
Yeah, but in that case the iGPU would run the game extremely slow which would make the CPU run at an extremely low utilization, the funny thing here is that the CPU is running close to 100% and according to his userbenchmark it also runs at somewhat high clocks.

It could be some malware running in the background making the CPU run the game slowly because most of it is running some bitcoin mining or something, and that then causes the GPU to also run low because it doesn't get many frames to work on.

Yeah, but in that case the iGPU would run the game extremely slow which would make the CPU run at an extremely low utilization, the funny thing here is that the CPU is running close to 100% and according to his userbenchmark it also runs at somewhat high clocks.

It could be some malware running in the background making the CPU run the game slowly because most of it is running some bitcoin mining or something, and that then causes the GPU to also run low because it doesn't get many frames to work on.
I mean he is talking about it throttling would need to know what 4070 it is to see if it's a power issue also what psu it's running at what wattage

Basically make model and watts

itsdiablo14

Honorable
Jun 8, 2018
I mean he is talking about it throttling would need to know what 4070 it is to see if it's a power issue also what psu it's running at what wattage

Basically make model and watts
I have a corsair 1200w.

I just ran the game this morning and its fine. I dont have any malwares, everything has been checked and never downloaded anything other than my games on battle net lol.

Im not sure why it does it sometimes I dont understand it

itsdiablo14

Honorable
Jun 8, 2018
Your CPU isn't running correctly 3.6ghz is base frequency for it which means it isn't boosting. Now if it really isn't getting too hot then there's something very wrong configuration wise. It'd be worth looking at HWMonitor to see what's happening or Throttlestop to see if they can pickup why it isn't operating correctly.

My CPU temperature in game is about 40 degrees which is really nothing. It goes to 95-100% usage in game and have lags, any other applications than games are okay.

GPU temperature is always at 45 degrees maximum right now with 98% usage also.

My CPU temperature in game is about 40 degrees which is really nothing. It goes to 95-100% usage in game and have lags, any other applications than games are okay.

GPU temperature is always at 45 degrees maximum right now with 98% usage also.
The problem is that your CPU isn't boosting. Even when fully loaded, the CPU should be able to reach 4.7GHz (https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i9/i9-9900k#Frequencies). The fact the CPU is that cool but sticking to its base clock speed means that it simply isn't boosting, possibly due to some configuration either in BIOS or Windows.

At this point the only easy things I can think of to try and troubleshoot this is reset BIOS settings and set Windows' power plan to "High Performance" and see if this solves anything. If it doesn't, then I'd go for a clean Windows install to get any configuration bits out of the way, because Windows should allow the CPU to boost out of the box. And if there's still a problem, the culprit starts pointing towards hardware.

Latest posts