[SOLVED] CPU usage higher then usual when running games

Nov 1, 2018
Hi,
I am having an issue where my cpu usage is sitting at 90-100% in games. I first noticed this when i started noticed micro stuttering in my games. I remember in the past i have monitored my cpu usage in these same games and it was never as high as it is now. I have tried doing quite a bit of trouble shooting such as reverting to old nvidia drivers and lowering settings and still nothing seems to fix my issue. This doesnt exactly stop me from playing games but it is definitely annoying considering the amount i spent on my pc last year.

My specs are:
GPU: gtx 1080
CPU: i5 7600k
RAM: 16gb 8x2

Thanks so much for any help!

Reactions: some123guy
Solution
I think your hardware is operating the way it should be. You have a powerful gpu and a CPU that can be compared to i3 status.
I suspect you weren't getting adequate performance before and you weren't able to drive the gpu as effectively due to the lower cpu load.
Nov 1, 2018
The main game I am having the problem with is dota 2, I have played this game for years and never noticed that is using this much of CPU before this. The only program i can see running in the backround in task manager is steam, taking about 1% cpu, discord taking 1%, and then google chrome taking from 5-10 depending on how many tabs and what they are.

Nov 1, 2018
Not the same issue I'm having unfortunately, my games doesn't lag much at all runs at stable 144 fps on my 144hz monitor at 1080p, I only get mirco stutters. I also scanned for malware using adwcleaner and made sure that I didnt have anything malicious running on my system.

Nov 1, 2018
Yes, the depending on how cpu intesive the game is is uses from 70-100%, for example in a game like golf with friends it only uses about 70, but in Black ops 4 it uses 100%. The micro stutters persist in all games though.

Nov 1, 2018
So do you think having your CPU at 100% is not a bad thing in a way as long as I'm getting good performance? Because i have talked with friends with worse pc set ups and even they say that their CPU usage is not as high as mine in games. I also would still like to find the reason for the micro stuttering.

I would first find out from your friends if what they are saying is true. As long as your temps are in check you should be fine. Did your computer recently update?

Apr 14, 2019
I have aptly the same exact problem with the CPU interaction with these games including dota2 - which used to easily run around 40-50% CPU and now takes 95%+. I used to stream without issues but now I can't even play offstream without facing microstutters, even if I close about all the visible background processes.

My desktop PC specs:-
Gpu: gtx1060 6gb
CPU: i5 8400 with liquid cooling
RAM: 2x8gb - 2400mhz

TRENDING THREADS