[SOLVED] CPU usage is at 90% while gaming

MannyChachere

Reputable
Jan 12, 2020
Problem/Issue:
While in game my CPU is running around 80-90%. The game is Monster Hunter World, I’ve heard that it isn't optimizes that well tho.

System:
i5-6600K (Currently using the built in MSI OC so its at 4.7~)
z170A Gaming M7
2x8Gb Corsair Pro Veng. 3000Mhz
GTX 980Ti
H100i V2

Im waiting on my new Z390 Mobo and i7-9700K, but i just wanted to confirm that the near 100% CPU usage im seeing is because of my i5s 4 cores/threads.
Also, this is the only game that i've seen where the Temp spike up to 80c. In a earlier post, I've already noted that my AIOs pump is working, 3 of the 5 fans are new, front intake fans will be cleaned today. I doubt changing the rad fans from intake to exhaust will see a 10c drop in temps, would be wonderful if anyone knows tho.

Solution
4 Cores is the limiting factor nowadays so I'd suspect that would be the next upgrade but I would hold off until the performance isn't desirable. Having your CPU at 90-100% certainly won't hurt anything.

What resolution/refresh rate is your monitor?

WildCard999

Titan
That's about normal for that CPU/game and is (sadly) expected if it's the Iceborne expansion due to poor optimizations. When you do that CPU/MB upgrade be sure to do a clean install of Windows as the old motherboard drivers will conflict with the new parts and cause performance issues.

MannyChachere

Reputable
Jan 12, 2020
That's about normal for that CPU/game and is (sadly) expected if it's the Iceborne expansion due to poor optimizations. When you do that CPU/MB upgrade be sure to do a clean install of Windows as the old motherboard drivers will conflict with the new parts and cause performance issues.

Thank, i didn't know about the clean install of Windows.

MannyChachere

Reputable
Jan 12, 2020
I mean, you are getting 60 FPS which is what your monitor is... so is there even a reason to upgrade?

You could probably hold off for at least another generation of CPU's as long as your performance is good.

Just seems like 90% CPU usage is high to me. Ive lowered the FPS to 30 and the Usage went down to 70%. I eventually want to upgrade all components. Im just trying to figure out which ones i should do first. I've already bought the Mobo and CPU so im just seeing if the GPU or Monitor should be next. But until i install it, I was curious if my current set up has a high usage due to the limited power of the i5-6600K + Monitor setup or is there was something else i could do.

WildCard999

Titan
4 Cores is the limiting factor nowadays so I'd suspect that would be the next upgrade but I would hold off until the performance isn't desirable. Having your CPU at 90-100% certainly won't hurt anything.

What resolution/refresh rate is your monitor?

Reactions: abisek
Solution

akotski1338

Commendable
Jan 15, 2020
I have a dual-core CPU and the usage is always 100% while gaming. performance seems to be fine though. I've read that if the CPU is at 100% for long periods of time, it degrades it but I don't know how true that is.