CPU Usage is stuck at 100% no matter what

Jan 16, 2019
Even without anything running exept task manager, my CPU usage will stay at 100%. It does not matter what processes are running as whatever process that is using most of the CPU that I end, It is instantly replaced with another (which is why I am not including a screenshot of task manager).
I ran malwarebytes numerous times with different settings, but nothing was detected. I take good care of my computer and am careful about installing applications. I do not remember when this began, but it makes my computer so slow that I cannot see myself typing this.
I have an I-7 processor that usually runs well.
Thanks

Jan 16, 2019

It is perfectly normal, even though it is still at 100% constantly. (It had fixed itself earlier and then it happened again and has stayed that way)

Meluno

Reputable
Jul 27, 2014
I had a similar problem and I found out that it was actually my Kaspersky anti-virus which was causing the problem. After turning it completelly off it solved the problem. Check if that issue of yours could be related to what I had.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is it the same in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now
that restarts PC in windows recovery environment
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

Is CPU still 100%

if not, set up PC for a clean boot - read instructions carefully and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft services or PC won't boot right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

If that fixes it, slowly re start applications and services you stopped, over a number of restarts, to find the cause.

Jan 16, 2019

No. It is random processes and often the same one will not be at the top for long.

Jan 16, 2019

Unfortunately not. I only have malwarebytes and disabling it did not have an impact.

Jan 16, 2019

Tried this, it did not work for me. Maybe something is wrong with windows or the processor itself because I don't even have to open applications for my computer to slow down.
Could it be that not all of the cores are working? I don't know if that is possible but that would explain it.

In task manager under performance it says:
base speed: 4.01 GHz
Sockets: 1
Cores: 1
Logical processors: 1
Virtualization: enabled

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes, that does look wrong for an I7. it should at least show 4 cores and 8 logical processors, and that is if its an old I7, the newer ones have even more.

What I7 is it? what are specs of the PC? Does CPU show as 4 cores in bios?

Try making this on another PC and test CPU - http://www.tcsscreening.com/files/users/IPDT_UEFI/ (this is a bootable version, if it does only have 1 core it might run this better than if windows was also running)

Jan 16, 2019

It is an I-7 6700k.
For specs, I have the I-7, a Gtx 1080, only 8 g of ram but am about to upgrade, a 1tb ssd and 2tb external hard drive, the ssd is my boot drive.

Jan 16, 2019

I downloaded the other test (prior to edit) and it passed. If it isn't an issue with windows, what do you suggest that i do?

Colif

Win 11 Master
what is bios showing? what motherboard do you have?

did the intel test create a report? can you copy/paste it in here?

what version of windows 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run
type winver and press enter
current versions are 1803 & 1809

I can't say I seen windows report an incorrect core count before, and if its still the same in Safe mode, it makes me think its hardware

try running this and see what it shows core count as (it shows at bottom of CPU tab) - https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Jan 16, 2019

My bios did not say anything about it. My motherboard is an asus motherboard, system info doesn't say the model.
The intel test did not create a report besides it passing all of the tests.
I am on windows 10 pro build 17134.
When I ran it, it says 1 core, one thread.

Should I open up my computer and take the CPU out and then put it back in?

Jan 16, 2019

When this started, I looked up solutions and found somebody who suggested that I go into msconfig and under boot, up the number of processors. I was able to and I think i set 1 to 2. After that, I heard that it was bad for my computer and set it back to 1. I can no longer change it from 1.
1) Should I change this to start with?
2) if yes, do you have any idea how to?

By the way thanks so much for the help so far.

Jan 16, 2019

I did what the person in the thread you linked did, and despite this not working earlier, it is back to 4 cores, 8 threads. I think from here on I should be good. Thank you so much, you have been very helpful.

For those who have the same problem: Windows key+rR, type msconfig, hit enter, go to boot and then advanced, go to number of processors and if that box is checked uncheck it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So it doesn't let you uncheck the number of processors?

see the page linked below, it shows the same steps as above but also some settings in registry, so go here and see how to backup the registry before making any changes, just in case it doesn't help. Don't download anything from here - https://appuals.com/restore-processors-system-configuration-windows-10/

edit: i was replying to previous answer, not above one. Glad we could figure this out

TRENDING THREADS