CPU usage leading to fps drops in all games

Edzeooo

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
Hey, I never had this problem until about a week ago when I started getting periods when my fps would drop to pretty much 0. It started in The Witcher 2 and wasn't too bad. It happened every 10 minutes or so but it was playable. This progressed and got so bad it was every 30~ seconds. I thought it was a problem with the game, but now it is happening in others too.

My CPU usage in Dishonored 2 is usually ~60%, but during the drops it falls to under 15%. GPU usage is stable at around 98% but it falls during the drops to about 50%. Temperatures are fine, the CPU never gets above 50C and the GPU never gets hotter than about 65C. I have tried cleaning up the registry with CCleaner, defragmenting my HDD, and scanning with anti virus, but none of these fixed the problem.

My specs are:
CPU - i7-3770k
GPU - MSI R9 480 4GB
RAM - 16GB HyperX Fury
PSU - EVGA 650 watt G2

Thanks for any help.

Solution
I find the easiest way to check memory usage is Windows Task Manager (click on More Details and then the Performance tab).

If you don't have another drive to reinstall Windows, then this might be the right time to add an SSD boot drive to your system!

neiler0847

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
Things I would try...

■ watch memory usage during game play. Are you seeing 16 GB available? How much is being used?
    ■ open up the case and give it a good dust off with canned air
    ■ fresh Windows install on a clean drive and just install the one game

Edzeooo

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

How would I check how much is available? Afterburner shows RAM usage stable at around 11500MB. The PC is pretty clean and the temps are stable. If I cant find another solution I might have to reinstall windows, but I don't have another drive to install.

neiler0847

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
I find the easiest way to check memory usage is Windows Task Manager (click on More Details and then the Performance tab).

If you don't have another drive to reinstall Windows, then this might be the right time to add an SSD boot drive to your system!

Solution