[SOLVED] CPU usage low CPU fan and frequency high

Apr 11, 2020
New build and not sure why my cpu usage is under 20% and yet my cou fan is 90-100% and frequency is very high. Any recommendations on why this is happening?

Solution
Is there any way to avoid boosting 1 or 2 cores high and instead keeping all at relative same level?

Nop, this is something that its related to how the game was writen in the first place.
Newer, and more demanding games are usually able to use as many cores and threads a CPU can have (once again as long as the developers wrote and desingned the game this way, which is usually the case lately), but some more "modest" games and/or old ones, only use between 1 ~ 4 cores, maybe 6 but thats it.
Your CPU comes with 8 physical cores and 16 threads (this last number is equal to the total of physical cores = 8 + the amount of "logical" threads available through the SMT function = 8 logical threads).

Its a little bit more complicated...
Apr 11, 2020
MSI Performance Gaming MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16GB
GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8G Graphics Card
Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-DELTA RGB Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX Gaming Case
CORSAIR RM Series™ RM650 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Please give a complete list of your system's components like the following:

CPU: ?????????? This is the most important part related to your issue

GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8G Graphics Card

PSU: CORSAIR RM Series™ RM650 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

MOBO: MSI Performance Gaming MPG X570 Gaming Plus

RAM: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16GB (2x8 or 1x16?)

SSD: ?????

HDD: ?????

Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-DELTA RGB Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX Gaming Case

Apr 11, 2020
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core/16-Thread 7nm Processor

GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8G Graphics Card

PSU: CORSAIR RM Series™ RM650 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

MOBO: MSI Performance Gaming MPG X570 Gaming Plus

RAM: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16GB (2x8 or 1x16?)

SSD: WD Blue™ 3D NAND SATAIII SSD, 1TB

HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA 3.5' 7200RPM

Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-DELTA RGB Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX Gaming Case

New build and not sure why my cpu usage is under 20% and yet my cou fan is 90-100% and frequency is very high. Any recommendations on why this is happening?

This is probably because 1 or 2 cores are been taxed at 100%, thats why you see the CPU fan at 90~100% RPM. Your gaming is most likely using only 1 or 2 cores. Those cores are boosting really high and so the temp from those needs to be kept under control and so -> CPU fan goes to 90~100% speed.

Apr 11, 2020
What do you mean when you say:

Do you mean the windows power plan balanced and high? I think your issue is that you need to set a custom fan curve so that the CPU temps dont cause the fans to go towards 90-100% when its only at 55-65 c temperature.

What I meant with that it is with the MSI motherboard and CPU you can have profiles of silent, balanced, or extreme performance where the CPU and fan will run at different levels.

Apr 11, 2020
This is probably because 1 or 2 cores are been taxed at 100%, thats why you see the CPU fan at 90~100% RPM. Your gaming is most likely using only 1 or 2 cores. Those cores are boosting really high and so the temp from those needs to be kept under control and so -> CPU fan goes to 90~100% speed.

Is there any way to avoid boosting 1 or 2 cores high and instead keeping all at relative same level?

Nop, this is something that its related to how the game was writen in the first place.
Newer, and more demanding games are usually able to use as many cores and threads a CPU can have (once again as long as the developers wrote and desingned the game this way, which is usually the case lately), but some more "modest" games and/or old ones, only use between 1 ~ 4 cores, maybe 6 but thats it.
Your CPU comes with 8 physical cores and 16 threads (this last number is equal to the total of physical cores = 8 + the amount of "logical" threads available through the SMT function = 8 logical threads).

Its a little bit more complicated than that but I tried to keep it simple, I hope it helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: helper800
Solution