[SOLVED] CPU Usage Low During Gaming

Feb 14, 2020
Hello all, I hope you guys can help me out here. I'm having trouble with low CPU and GPU usage while playing games. I mainly play Farming Simulator 19 with the graphics at max settings. The best FPS I can get is around 45 but the usage rates are never above 40% for the GPU and usually the CPU is around 15 - 25%. Also, every once in a while I will notice my frame rate drop to 15-20 and the usage for the CPU will go down to around 2-5% and then after some time the frame rates will go back up to 40-45. I have included a screen shot to show the normal usage and temps while playing the game. Shouldn't the temps and usage rates be higher to achieve 60 fps constantly? Thanks in advance for the help.

List of computer specs:

Corsair 850W PS
16GB DDR3 RAM
Zotac Gaming GeForce 1650 Super
AMD X6 1075t @ 2.75 gHz
Windows 7 64 Bit

In game stats:

Solution
It is entirely your CPU in this case. The old Phenom II might have 6 cores, but the game only uses a few, and those cores it does use aren't fast enough, nor do they have support for modern CPU instruction additions, which will slow things down even more. I'm afraid to say that it might be time to retire the old chip. Even a decidedly low end new CPU like the Athlon 3000G is going to be a lot faster in games like Farming Simulator. The single core performance is 57% better on the new Athlon. The price of the Athlon doesn't hurt either coming in at around $55, but keep in mind that you'll need a new motherboard and RAM as well with an upgrade. Though, you should be able to come out of it spending less than $250, or if you can stretch the...
It is entirely your CPU in this case. The old Phenom II might have 6 cores, but the game only uses a few, and those cores it does use aren't fast enough, nor do they have support for modern CPU instruction additions, which will slow things down even more. I'm afraid to say that it might be time to retire the old chip. Even a decidedly low end new CPU like the Athlon 3000G is going to be a lot faster in games like Farming Simulator. The single core performance is 57% better on the new Athlon. The price of the Athlon doesn't hurt either coming in at around $55, but keep in mind that you'll need a new motherboard and RAM as well with an upgrade. Though, you should be able to come out of it spending less than $250, or if you can stretch the budget to $300 the Ryzen 5 1600 or even 2600 would be within your price range... and those are really good CPUs that will last you a while.

Solution
Feb 14, 2020
It is entirely your CPU in this case. The old Phenom II might have 6 cores, but the game only uses a few, and those cores it does use aren't fast enough, nor do they have support for modern CPU instruction additions, which will slow things down even more. I'm afraid to say that it might be time to retire the old chip. Even a decidedly low end new CPU like the Athlon 3000G is going to be a lot faster in games like Farming Simulator. The single core performance is 57% better on the new Athlon. The price of the Athlon doesn't hurt either coming in at around $55, but keep in mind that you'll need a new motherboard and RAM as well with an upgrade. Though, you should be able to come out of it spending less than $250, or if you can stretch the budget to $300 the Ryzen 5 1600 or even 2600 would be within your price range... and those are really good CPUs that will last you a while.

Are there any chips out there today that would fit in my current motherboard? Also, I was wondering if overclocking the current CPU I have now would help any. Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:
Are there any chips out there today that would fit in my current motherboard? Also, I was wondering if overclocking the current CPU I have now would help any. Thanks again for the help.
I'm afraid not. If your motherboard was AM3+ you could drop an FX chip in there, but those aren't very good. An FX 8350 might buy you another year or two, but at this point it isn't really worth putting any more money into such an old platform.

TRENDING THREADS