Question CPU usage remains at 100% without slowdowns

Jun 30, 2019

The CPU utilization repeatedly shows as 100%, despite no slowdowns or noticable errors. The active window often appears to be the most demanding window, but the most demanding program often flips, especially while on desktop, with programs utilizing 90% or more of the CPU by themselves. Odder still however, is that Process Explorer shows that the system is running normally, with only about 17% usage. A reinstall of windows, UEFI flash, and full driver update have been attempted, and yet the problem persists. No new devices have been attached recently, and the HDD and SSD test fully functional. Please help, I'm running out of ideas as to what causes the reading!

Colif

Win 11 Master
which version of win 10 are you running?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 1903

what motherboard are you on? If PC is a brand name, what make/model?

Does it show 100% with nothing running?

Jun 30, 2019
The problem occurs with both 1809 and 1903 versions of Windows. I use a MSI brand Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard. Even with nothing running, the CPU continues to read 100% on task manager, and only about 17% on process explorer, started together or separately.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does process explorer show difference as system idle process, I have seen Task manager count it as usage before

Are you using Live update 6 to ensure you have latest software for motherboard? its on the utility tab of support page for motherboard

is it 100% in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now
this restarts PC into windows recovery

choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

still 100%? If so, its hardware... and unusual

if its not 100% it might be a startup program. Drivers don't normally chew on CPU, they eat ram, so not sure if it is one of those or not.

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Jun 30, 2019
Safe mode reports the same issue, and the motherboard is updated to its most recent. However, removing and re-partitioning my SSD and HDD, then reinstalling from a flash drive again seems to have fixed the issue. Do you think one of them could have damage?