CPU usage spikes cause FPS drops!

Sep 29, 2018
Hello! I'm getting huge CPU usage spikes in every game when I play and listen to music at the same time for example. My CPU goes from 30% to 80% and it causes really bad GPU usage drops and FPS drops. My games are working fine when I'm not doing anything else at the same time than playing games. I7-7700K, GTX 1070. Temps are normal, no overclocks. When my PC starts using CPU in games I immediately get FPS drops and my GPU usage goes down. Thank you guys!

mgallo848

Commendable
Depending on what games you play 8 gb may be on the border. In BF 1 for instance, the minimum required is 8 gb. You have a pretty fast system so if you're playing games on "ultra" settings you may be hitting the 8 gb limit. Games like BF 1 have been reported to hit 10-11 total system usage on ultra.

If you are playing with game settings that high, try lowering to medium just to see if the issue goes away.

Sep 29, 2018

4x4 = 16GB.

mgallo848

Commendable

ahh, I was reading it as 2 sticks, 4GB each. (FYI it's 2x8)

Disregard my advice. You have plenty of RAM

Sep 29, 2018

Rocket league is using 43% CPU when I get stable FPS and GPU usage, when I get a CPU spike rocket league uses 60% CPU and GPU usage drops down to 70% and FPS goes from 330 to 260 and some other apps are using only 0.1% CPU all the time when I play, no major spikes in any other applications.