Question CPu usage

Jul 28, 2020
IM NEW DONT BULLY thanks. So when I'm playing a game and lets say I have youtube open in the background . i have an i7 9700k when those both things open the cpu usage is max 60 percent, temps are totally fine 50 C ish. But I still get slowdowns in my game. Isnt a cpu suppose to use its full power until its too hot or until its 100 percent used. Is this normal? Or is it not suppose to be like that (GPU usage and temps are fine too)

Is this normal?
Yeah...that's pretty normal.

A CPU has a whole lot of circuits that can do a whole lot of 'stuff'...there's (usually) three different caches, a branch predictor, integer unit, floating point unit, instruction decoders and it goes on and on. Any one of those things could be fully utilized while others are sitting basically idle because most application code is frequently kind of random and not always particularly efficient at using the various parts of the processor in concert.

Stress tests, in particular, are designed with code that very efficiently uses as many parts of the processor as possible so that's why they get the processor very hot.

And finally.... in gaming the cpu is rarely heavily taxed as the GPU is generally not able to keep up so the CPU will simply be under-utilized.

Last edited:
Some games don't issue enough threads because of how they're designed to saturate something like an i7 processor. And because CPU utilization is really just how many CPU threads were doing something, it can seem like the CPU isn't being fully utilized even though it can't make the software run faster due to how it was designed.

Jul 28, 2020
Yeah...that's pretty normal.

A CPU has a whole lot of circuits that can do a whole lot of 'stuff'...there's (usually) three different caches, a branch predictor, integer unit, floating point unit, instruction decoders and it goes on and on. Any one of those things could be fully utilized while others are sitting basically idle because most application code is frequently kind of random and not always particularly efficient at using the various parts of the processor in concert.

Stress tests, in particular, are designed with code that very efficiently uses as many parts of the processor as possible so that's why they get the processor very hot.
can you simplify that for me (I'm an English learner) Do you mean CPU threads or things inside is also get Hot and slow down? And its normal

can you simplify that for me (I'm an English learner) Do you mean CPU threads or things inside is also get Hot and slow down? And its normal
I'm not really sure what your question is now...are you asking why your CPU isn't getting hot even though it's working at 60% utilization? or if it's getting hot and making it slowing down.

If you're asking why it's not working at 100% since it's not getting hot in a game it might be because your GPU is bottlenecking it.

Jul 28, 2020
I'm not really sure what your question is now...are you asking why your CPU isn't getting hot even though it's working at 60% utilization? or if it's getting hot and making it slowing down.

If you're asking why it's not working at 100% since it's not getting hot in a game it might be because your GPU is bottlenecking it.
no I'm asking why I'm getting slowdowns when the CPU usage is at 60 percent and the temps are fine. Isnt a cpu suppose to use its full power it can give until it gets too hot? or until it gets 100 utilization

no I'm asking why I'm getting slowdowns when the CPU usage is at 60 percent and the temps are fine. Isnt a cpu suppose to use its full power it can give until it gets too hot? or until it gets 100 utilization
Slowdowns in what?

You also have to remember that a computer is more than just the CPU...there's memory, GPU, drives, I/O (pcie bus) even ethernet (LAN) can impact performance depending on application.

slowing down in games when the gpu usage is only at 10percents and the temps are fine
in gaming...

what is the complete system specifications... motherboard, gpu, memory in particular.

But in general, systems perform poorly because of mis-configured BIOS, out of date system and GPU drivers. And, of course, over-heating but that doesn't sound like your problem.

OH YEAH...and wrong or misconfigured memory.

Jul 28, 2020
in gaming...

what is the complete system specifications... motherboard, gpu, memory in particular.

But in general, systems perform poorly because of misconfigured BIOS, out of date system and GPU drivers. And, of course, over-heating but that doesn't sound like your problem.
to be honest I'm getting stuterring in games too lately I have an rtx 2060 super b365prime i7 9700k corsair 16gb ram samsung evo 500gb 870 ssd. I also got my gpu so bad today I did a ddu clean and I'm getting like 100 fps in the games when I used to get like 200fps