[SOLVED] cpu utilization above 90 but gpu not getting utilized completely while gaming

Aug 31, 2021
I am trying to run fifa 21 on dell inspiron 7567. The system has 4gb 1050ti and 16 gb ram and an i7 processor.
I clean installed windows 10 from scratch, got the nvidia and intel drivers corresponding to the configuration i have and tried running fifa 21.
The game felt laggy and so i tried to monitor the stats using msi afterburner. The cpu utilization is up to 90 percent while the gpu1 i.e. 1050ti is harly used more than 40 percent and same goes with intel graphics driver
I have set the game graphics settings from windows to use high-performance Nvidia driver and have also set the global settings in nvidia control panel to use nvidia driver and yet the usage remains same.
This high cpu usage is causing the fps to drop below 40 while the game settings have them locked at 60 fps
what can i do to make the system utilize more of the gpu?

Solution
every single core currently shows to be reaching the upper bounds of 95 percent and he gpu utilization is still below 30
should this happen though that the cpu is being taxed completely for a game like fifa?
Yes.

The CPU is responsible for packaging up the list of commands to tell the GPU what to do. However, it can't do this until it's done with everything else the game needs the CPU for. Things like user input, AI, physics, etc. The reason is that what you see is supposed to represent the latest state of the game world and having something that isn't the latest state means you're reacting on old information. So if the CPU is mostly busy with this work, it can't spend more time sending stuff to the GPU.

For a game like FIFA I...
Aug 31, 2021
every single core currently shows to be reaching the upper bounds of 95 percent and he gpu utilization is still below 30
should this happen though that the cpu is being taxed completely for a game like fifa?

Yes.

The CPU is responsible for packaging up the list of commands to tell the GPU what to do. However, it can't do this until it's done with everything else the game needs the CPU for. Things like user input, AI, physics, etc. The reason is that what you see is supposed to represent the latest state of the game world and having something that isn't the latest state means you're reacting on old information. So if the CPU is mostly busy with this work, it can't spend more time sending stuff to the GPU.

For a game like FIFA I expect this. At least assuming the AI isn't dumb as rocks. Given a standard football team size is 11 players on the field, that's 21 AI agents the CPU has to work on, and if they're all more or less making decisions, then that's a lot of CPU work to do.

It's the same thing with the F1 games. It's pretty hard on the CPU because it's simulating something like 19 other racers.

Solution
It's throttling for sure. There is no other reason that your CPU will operate below base clock speeds if it's not thermal.
There are also some other issues like the 1 stick of RAM but it's way less important than CPU. You need to sort this out first.

Is that temp while gaming?

Aug 31, 2021
It's throttling for sure. There is no other reason that your CPU will operate below base clock speeds if it's not thermal.
There are also some other issues like the 1 stick of RAM but it's way less important than CPU. You need to sort this out first.

Is that temp while gaming?
yeah the temperature is while gaming
How do i sort this issue of throttling?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Run userbench again.

Monitor temps and speed at the same time. Use coretemp or similar. No good just saying 75c for example, need to watch what speed it's running at because less MHz = less heat.

And if we verify it's throttling, well we can suggest ideas but need to see first if it is getting too hot.

Aug 31, 2021
Run userbench again.

Monitor temps and speed at the same time. Use coretemp or similar. No good just saying 75c for example, need to watch what speed it's running at because less MHz = less heat.

And if we verify it's throttling, well we can suggest ideas but need to see first if it is getting too hot.
Hey i installed some intel drivers from the manufacturers website and now the cpu utilization is limited to below 70 percent and temps are also rising to 85-90 for cpu but the gpu still seems to be idle recording temps and usage below 75 and 40 respectively. Here are the screenshots for coretemp and afterburner while being in game

afterburner - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-sdHM7W-efZK21ezSPSBubJoz3jZhc0y/view?usp=sharing
coretemp - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kHMLFwXwsY5zMBItwZeZidzMHdM1a7Kw/view?usp=sharing

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What Intel driver? Can you do system restore before installing?

Cpu is sitting on 2.8 and temps are high. 7700hq turbos to 3.4 all core use, it doesn't want to turbo. Would be a good idea to service laptop, blow it out and maybe get a cooling pad for it and insulate under laptop to block air escaping out the sides.

Haven't used throttlestop so don't have experience with it but have seen threads suggesting it used in ways to lower temps.

Guide;

Low gpu usage may be the result of cpu not running properly. Try get that sorted and go from there.

Aug 31, 2021
What Intel driver? Can you do system restore before installing?

Cpu is sitting on 2.8 and temps are high. 7700hq turbos to 3.4 all core use, it doesn't want to turbo. Would be a good idea to service laptop, blow it out and maybe get a cooling pad for it and insulate under laptop to block air escaping out the sides.

Haven't used throttlestop so don't have experience with it but have seen threads suggesting it used in ways to lower temps.

Guide;

Low gpu usage may be the result of cpu not running properly. Try get that sorted and go from there.
The drivers installed were some updates in the dell support app, included some thermal related drivers
Aren't these temps quite normal for gaming? Also since the problem currently is with the gpu usage so would it help even if i do undervolt the cpu?