CPU utilization is over 90% when playing 4K videos

Sep 17, 2018
I have Intel i5 3.2Ghz processor paired with 8GB RAM and NVIDIA 2GB DDR3 Graphics card. When I am playing any 4K videos in Youtube, I noticed that CPU utilization goes over 90% and ranges between 90-100% constantly as long as I play the video. This makes system response slow. I use Chrome and Hardware acceleration is enabled. I even tried disabling hardware acceleration but that did not solve the issue.

As per my understanding, when hardware acceleration is enabled, GPU should take the load instead of system CPU. During this time, GPU utilization hardly cross 10% and ranges between 4 to 15%.

Any idea how to overcome this issue? Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad English.

Solution
mine rides on vp9 fine
4k 8bit 2% cpu usage / 20% gpu usage
4k 10bit 2% cpu / 50% gpu usage
Gpu core is in low power mode sooo plenty of space for games

btw u have gt class gpu, not gtx
Sep 14, 2018
Not really video rendering it's cpu intensive especially on videos like youtube where the video card isn't used. If you play video games, render 3D, etc. That's something else but not youtube unless you enable to use your GPU to work hard for chrome/youtube.

Sep 17, 2018

I am using GT 630 series graphics card

Sep 17, 2018

How to force GPU to handle all videos automatically? I have already turned ON hardware acceleration in Chrome. Same is the case when I use IE or Edge. Actually situation does not change whether I attach graphics card or not.

I can play games smoothly that requires graphics card. Those games don't work if I remove my graphics card. So this shows that my GPU is fine. Any idea?? :/

Sep 17, 2018

So you mean only those recent series can handle 4k. Rest other models are useless and the burden is taken by CPU?

dederedmi5plus

Prominent
Aug 17, 2018
right-click a YouTube video during playback and select “Stats for nerds.” To the right of “Mime Type,” you’ll see “video/mp4” and the “avc” codec for H.264/MP4 videos. Maybe the video codec is vp8 or vp 9, afaik no hardware acceleration available from and, Intel, and Nvidia