Question CPU utilization wont go above 20 to 30%

R99 .

Commendable
Jan 3, 2020
Hi guys! I have a question and I'm in need of help. I have recently made a new PC with really good specs but I was for whatever reason getting fps stutters... I assumed it was my G1 Gaming 1070 graphics card so I sent it back and got a refund and then bought a "Asus GeForce RTX 2070 Dual EVO OC 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card " hoping it would fix my issue... to my surprise it did not :/ although the stutters aren't as bad; they are still happening... so I now know for a fact that there is definitely nothing wrong GPU wise but I'm not sure about my CPU, it never goes above 20 to 30 utilization and sometimes even drops below 20 so I assume its not using its max potiental.

I know that there is no chance that I should even be getting any form of performance issues with the specs I now have, I even get drops/stutters on CSGO which is a 10 year old game that even my 5 year old PC could run without any issues or fps issues... and that old pc had a lot of problems.

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 Dual EVO OC 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
CPU: Ryzen 2700x Eight Core
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200mHz
MOBO: Asus Rog Strix B450-F Gaming
M.2: Kingston A400 120GB
HDD: Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM

When idle my CPU fluxuates around 40 to 50 degrees with the Wraith Prism Stock Cooler and when gaming sits around 60 to 69 degrees and my GPU sits at an idle temp of 52 to 54 degrees and when gaming usually just chills around 70 degrees at 100 percent utilization... so you can see why I'm insanely confused and lost considering this a completely brand new PC, I've tried many things to solve this issue except clean reinstall of Windows 10. Just want to get rid of these micro stutters/fps drops and actually be able to use the PC that I spent so much money on :/

Last edited:
Hi guys! I have a question and I'm in need of help. I have recently made a new PC with really good specs but I was for whatever reason getting fps stutters... I assumed it was my G1 Gaming 1070 graphics card so I sent it back and got a refund and then bought a "Asus GeForce RTX 2070 Dual EVO OC 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card " hoping it would fix my issue... to my surprise it did not :/ although the stutters aren't as bad; they are still happening... so I now know for a fact that there is definitely nothing wrong GPU wise but I'm not sure about my CPU, it never goes above 20 to 30 utilization and sometimes even drops below 20 so I assume its not using its max potiental.

I know that there is no chance that I should even be getting any form of performance issues with the specs I now have, I even get drops/stutters on CSGO which is a 10 year old game that even my 5 year old PC could run without any issues or fps issues... and that old pc had a lot of problems.

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 Dual EVO OC 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
CPU: Ryzen 2700x Eight Core
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200mHz
MOBO: Asus Rog Strix B450-F Gaming
M.2: Kingston A400 120GB
HDD: Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM

When idle my CPU fluxuates around 40 to 50 degrees with the Wraith Prism Stock Cooler and when gaming sits around 60 to 69 degrees and my GPU sits at an idle temp of 52 to 54 degrees and when gaming usually just chills around 70 degrees at 100 percent utilization... so you can see why I'm insanely confused and lost considering this a completely brand new PC, I've tried many things to solve this issue except clean reinstall of Windows 10. Just want to get rid of these micro stutters/fps drops and actually be able to use the PC that I spent so much money on :/

You haven't listed what PSU you are using?

The temps sound a little warm but not terrible, do you have any case fans? At any rate they don't sound high enough to be causing throttling....

R99 .

Commendable
Jan 3, 2020

The temps sound a little warm but not terrible, do you have any case fans? At any rate they don't sound high enough to be causing throttling....
Sorry I forgot to list my PSU, I'm using the Corsair TXM 850W psu. I have 4 case fans, but I am using stock AMD thermal paste that comes pre applied to the cooler with the 2700x

R99 .

Commendable
Jan 3, 2020

The case fans came with the case I'm using which is the Deepcool Matrexx 55

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
Weird, could you see in cpu-z or something like that what your DRAM-freq is? Could be it is running at a lower clock. But still, you should be able to run csgo without stutters. It's normal that the cpu only runs at 30% in csgo.

Did you use DDU before installing your new gpu?

Otherwise, clean install windows couldn't hurt.

R99 .

Commendable
Jan 3, 2020
Weird, could you see in cpu-z or something like that what your DRAM-freq is? Could be it is running at a lower clock. But still, you should be able to run csgo without stutters. It's normal that the cpu only runs at 30% in csgo.

My DRAM freq is running at 1596.2 MHz on dual channel and no I completely forgot to DDU and by time i realised I had already returned my old gpu... I guess I have to clean install windows which isnt too bad because its installed on my m.2

R99 .

Commendable
Jan 3, 2020
Have you run some frame rate counters to see what fps you are actually getting? It's not uncommon for a cpu like the 2700X to have low utilisation (especially in older titles like CS:GO which only really uses 1 or 2 cores)....
yes my fps in the majority of the games I play is always high but will have sudden spurs when it drops to 70 or lower and has screen tear and stutters :/

R99 .

Commendable
Jan 3, 2020
My DRAM freq is running at 1596.2 MHz on dual channel and no I completely forgot to DDU and by time i realised I had already returned my old gpu... I guess I have to clean install windows which isnt too bad because its installed on my m.2

I forgot to add that it isnt just in csgo that it runs at 30% or lower its like that in games like Borderlands 3 on high settings and far cry new dawn ect

If you reinstall windows, make sure you have any extra drives disconnected, I have seen it put files on other connected drives.
n

johnsoner13

Respectable
Try DDU before reinstalling windows as Swarzenegger said. You don’t need a guide really, just download the tool and run it In safe mode, make sure to check the correct boxes for what you want to remove. MAKE SURE you select the option to stop windows from automatically installing GPU drivers once you restart the PC so you can get a clean driver installation

also, what is your windows power option set to? Try high performance if not set to that already

overclocking might remedy your problem as well. On my gtx 1060 ryzen 5 2600 build, I experienced no stutters, but started stuttering once I got a more powerful card (RX 5700). Overclocking to 4.1 ghz completely removed my stutters and will likely help with yours.

Last edited:

R99 .

Commendable
Jan 3, 2020
Try DDU before reinstalling windows as Swarzenegger said. You don’t need a guide really, just download the tool and run it In safe mode, make sure to check the correct boxes for what you want to remove. MAKE SURE you select the option to stop windows from automatically installing GPU drivers once you restart the PC so you can get a clean driver installation

also, what is your windows power option set to? Try high performance if not set to that already

overclocking might remedy your problem as well. On my gtx 1060 ryzen 5 2600 build, I experienced no stutters, but started stuttering once I got a more powerful card (RX 5700). Overclocking to 4.1 ghz completely removed my stutters and will likely help with yours.
Yes I am set to high performance on my power option aswell as my edited nvidia control panel settings, I'll give the DDU a try possibly although I uninstalled my drivers ect manually 10 mins ago but it did indeed pre install the 2nd latest drivers, I updated them again and Ill see if it still does anything.