akhellbinder

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I have the Intel QX6700. When im in games, no matter if it's a very demanding one like crysis, or a very old one like Half-Life 1 mods, the CPU tempature is the same. Usually when im in Counter-Strike 1.6, the tempature is between 65-70. That is alot for a such an old game. When the computer is idle, there is no problem.

Why does the heat produced by my CPU DOUBLE when playing games?

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/6245/hotcpu.jpg <-- That is in WoW, notice the CPU temperatures in the bottom right of my screen.

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/6245/hotcpu.jpg <-- Idle at desktop. Notice the temperatures.

akhellbinder

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Day 1 really. I read in the manual for the CPU that 65 load is what its supposed to be running on. But this is 10 degrees more. Dunno really.

akhellbinder

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
already did that, and a new cpu fan is out of the question. i already tryed with various other aftermarket fans, and it just made it worse. Even zalman fans.

If you arent willing to upgrade the fan then you are just going to have to deal with the temperatures, they do seem a bit high so you might want to try some better thermal grease to drop them by a few C. If you get a decent heatsink though it will improve, but you cant use one of the 80 or 92mm fans, get a good heatsink with a 120mm fan.

Looking at the CPU usage levels im thinking its actually heat throttling because 2 cores appear to be idle and the two in use arent running at 100%.

Also important little detail, the heat generated by your CPU isnt doubling, nor is the temperature because 0 C is not the bottom. Heatsinks also only perform relative to the ambient temperature which is why heatsink reviews always refer to a delta from ambient. If you improve airflow and can drop the ambient case temp by 3 or 4C the CPU temp will drop by the same amount.

akhellbinder

Distinguished
May 12, 2008

I got abit crazy last year during the summer. It was hot as hell, and i set the CPU fan to run at 100% speed all the time. It doesnt throttle up or down, it just stays at 100% all the time its on.

Is that a bad thing?

I also tryed with and without the case open, and its running arctic silver thermal paste. I refitted it several times, and im careful not to put on too much.

But why does it go to those temperatures under load, when its fine idle? Thats weird. If its got those high tempatures, shouldnt idle be really high aswell?