Question CPU Very hot under load with 240mm AIO

Jul 31, 2017
Hi guys,
I recently upgraded from my 6700k to a 11400f, but kept the same AIO as I read that 1151 coolers would work for the 1200 socket generation. While stress-testing the CPU, I noticed it gets quite hot under load ( View: https://imgur.com/a/SYvgo7T
) , and I had the same issue with the 6700k but just became too bothered to fix it after 6 years (almost) of use. The "lower" temperature was achieved with Aida64 and the higher one with CPU-Z stress testing. The CPU has freshly applied noctua thermal paste, and I am quite sure I tightened the pump properly to the processor. Motherboard is an ASUS Prime B560-Plus, so I have it plugged into the only CPU_FAN pin slot. Any ideas of how to proceed to get lower temperatures? (CPU also spikes to these temperatures while gaming sometimes)
Thanks!

Reactions: jnjnilson6

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Hi guys,
I recently upgraded from my 6700k to a 11400f, but kept the same AIO as I read that 1151 coolers would work for the 1200 socket generation. While stress-testing the CPU, I noticed it gets quite hot under load ( View: https://imgur.com/a/SYvgo7T
) , and I had the same issue with the 6700k but just became too bothered to fix it after 6 years (almost) of use. The "lower" temperature was achieved with Aida64 and the higher one with CPU-Z stress testing. The CPU has freshly applied noctua thermal paste, and I am quite sure I tightened the pump properly to the processor. Motherboard is an ASUS Prime B560-Plus, so I have it plugged into the only CPU_FAN pin slot. Any ideas of how to proceed to get lower temperatures? (CPU also spikes to these temperatures while gaming sometimes)
Thanks!
To tell you the truth, these are perfectly good temperatures. Back in the day, when I overclocked my i7-3770K to 5 GHz using Corsair H110 water cooling, the temperatures were constantly 99 C under load, yet it was stable and worked normally for hours.

Any results beneath 85C under heavy load are considered quite within the norm. :)

NaClKnight

Prominent
Dec 7, 2022
Hi guys,
Thanks!

If it's not throttling under a stress test your AIO is doing its job. You can tweak fan curves from here to likely further lower temps (at the potential risk of louder fans) but these numbers aren't concerning

Did you have any issues reapplying the thermal paste when you reused the AIO?

Did you set the AIO pump to run at full load in the new MB BIOS?

Jul 31, 2017
If it's not throttling under a stress test your AIO is doing its job. You can tweak fan curves from here to likely further lower temps (at the potential risk of louder fans) but these numbers aren't concerning

Did you have any issues reapplying the thermal paste when you reused the AIO?

Did you set the AIO pump to run at full load in the new MB BIOS?
I only enabled XMP and thats about it, where should I look for checking the pump speed? Thanks!

NaClKnight

Prominent
Dec 7, 2022
I only enabled XMP and thats about it, where should I look for checking the pump speed? Thanks!

Depends on your MB mfg, as all of them call it something different. You're looking for QFan or Smart Fan or HW Monitor or any seetting or button in your BIOS that mentions a fan or has a fan icon. It's usually right there in the first/main screen but you may need to enable advanced mode.

Once you get there, you want to ensure that your AIO pump is plugged into your MB (usually in a CPU_PUMP or CPU_OPT header, that it is reporting an actual speed, and that it is set to run at full speed/100%

The AIO radiator fans will connect to a different MB header (usually CPU_FAN) and you may tweak their curve. If you're worried about heat, set the fans as high as they can go and drop the speed/rpm/V/PWM to as high as you can tolerate. If that means they hit 85% duty cycle at 50°C and 75% at 40°C, then so be it. The only person who needs to live with it is you (and your house/room/apt mates haha. I'm not responsible if your jet engine fans draw the ire of your loved ones)

Once you find the menu you'll understate what tweak the curves means

Last edited: