Question CPU, VGA and BOOT red lights shining only during POST then the PC encounters an error during winows install

Jan 8, 2021
Recently upgraded my Cooler Master 550W, 8700k, z370 with a Corsair 750W, AMD 5600X and MSI B550 Tomahawk motherboard. Upon powering the computer on, the CPU red light on the motherboard turns on for a few seconds until my monitor gets the signal and turns on. After that the VGA red light turns on for a few seconds, followed by the BOOT red light. They all turn off and I successfully boot into windows. I make sure every component is getting detected by windows (which they were), before grabbing my USB drive to install a fresh version of windows. Since everything seemed to be working, I simply shrugged the red lights turning on as being a bug with my BIOS version.

Once in windows update everything again seemed to be going fine, I got to the last screen of windows setup where it says "Copying windows files, Getting files ready for installation, Installing features etc." and when all those finish I get an error message saying: "Windows installation encountered an unexpected error. Verify that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation. Error code: 0xC0000005" I googled the error and people with very similar components, or more specifically the motherboard and processor, that have encountered the same problem. For some changing the RAM fixed it while for others their processor had turned out to be faulty.

I have never gotten past this error and I've tried:
  • Unplugging and plugging every component and connector connected to the motherboard
  • Trying every RAM slot with two different RAM kits
  • Tried installing three different windows versions
  • Tried three different BIOS versions
  • I tried a different SSD, problem persists
  • I tried with both XMP on and off, didn't fix
  • When reseating the CPU and cleaning it off old thermal paste residue I thoroughly inspected it for bent pins and couldn't see any after 40+ minutes of looking

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS